Bow-Legged Hen

SarahMG

Chirping
9 Years
Oct 27, 2013
So I have a hen that has been bow-legged all of her life. We didn't catch on to it until she was an adult, although we had noticed she was never as active as the other chicks. She's around two-years-old now, and has trouble walking. I have to keep her seperate from all the others, as she gets picked on alot. She's very friendly, and I can do pretty much anything with her. So, is there anything that I can do to help her? Should I try wrapping her legs?

Any action to correct leg problems has to occur in the first few days. You have to be very proactive. At this point any attempt to fix it would only hurt her. Now all you can do for her is offer care and love.

Ok,thanks. She's doesn't really seem to care, other than not being able to hang out with the other chickens much. But she doesn't even really care much about that either. She's not underweight, and she's very healthy, so I think she'll be ok as long as she doesn't over-do it.

I have a curled toed hen that is the same way. I got her at a week old, and by then it was already too late to try and fix it. It doesn't hinder her. She lives life like all of the others, she just can't roost well.

I have the same situation. one of my EE chicks (6weeks) is bowlegged. she doesn't move around too much but she loves to roost. it doesn't seem to bother her either, but she does trip sometimes. she'll curl up in your lap it's the cutest.

Back
Top Bottom