box badly damaged in shipping eggs ebay

akmustangman

In the Brooder
Jan 29, 2015
Alaska
should the seller be at all responsible when shipping eggs box arrive like this none broke but certainly took a blow. seller just told me not responsible for rough shipping i didint do that to your box..any thoughts?

Last edited:
If it's priority mail then they should be automatically insured for $50. Only half of what you paid, but at least it's something. You have to file a claim with the post office which you can do from their website. Sometimes sellers will reship eggs for the price of shipping in cases like this, but they aren't able to control how the post office handles the eggs, unfortunately.

update. seller feels not her fault talk to the post office she seems to care less how upset i am not even a i am sorry your box arrived like that .I opened a dispute my feeling is i bought from her not the post office its not the end of her responsibility once it leaves her hands is my opinion.its the end when it arrives to me. any one have any thoughts on this.i would sure like to know how others feel if they were in this situation.good or bad what are your thoughts thank you.

Well, I know as an egg seller I don't like it when I get blamed for what the post office does to my eggs. I package them as carefully as I can and make sure they are snug and do my best to make sure they can get to their destination safely. But once I turn them over to the post office it is literally out of my hands. There is nothing I can do from that point on to make sure they reach their destination safe.

Also, it would be your responsibility to open the claim with the post office, since you are the one that would be receiving the money for the compensation. The seller did also put in the listing that this was a possibility, it sounds like from what you're saying in your post, so you knew when you bid on them that this could happen. It sounds like the seller isn't handling it well, and I certainly would have been more apologetic if these were my eggs and I probably would have offered to send more, but it sounds like her packaging was fine since none broke and this really was just a case of the post office doing something to the box that was way out of their control.

By opening a claim you are asking the seller to pay for probably the shipping I imagine, which is money right out of their pocket, and also to forfeit all the money they spent taking care of those birds to get them to lay those eggs that they sold probably in an effort to recoup some costs of taking care of the birds. Not trying to make you feel bad, just trying to show what the seller's perspective is.

Also, I'm not sure that you'll win your claim. It sounds like the seller sent you the eggs you were promised, packed them as best as they could, and put right in their listing that they are not responsible for what the post office does to the eggs after they ship them, which means you were aware that this could happen and agreed to it when you bid. Or at least that's what it'll look like to anyone who reviews the claim.

But yes, the seller is handling this poorly. I would have been really apologetic had these been my eggs and probably offered to ship more for the cost of shipping, but I would't have opened a claim with the post office for my buyer, that would be the buyer's responsibility.

Also, you might try putting them in the incubator. You might be surprised. I just had a shipment go to Hawaii thanks to a post office mess up before it reached me. All the eggs but one, even though they took a weeklong detour to the state that is the farthest away from mine possible and crossed an ocean, and the box got a nice big dent in it on the corner like yours in the process, developed.

thank you i would have to say i agree with most of what you are saying i take partial risk . i also believe the seller handled this wrong.i would have been fine if the seller seemed a little bothered that i got my eggs like that.she has no remorse was rather rude that made me more upset.

I understand that completely, the seller definitely should have handled that differently. I would try putting the eggs in the incubator though if none of them have any external damage visible. You never know, you might get chicks :)

Hello Mustang

Well I'm also in Alaska and can tell you shipping eggs up here is normally a disaster. If you order and dozen and get four to hatch, you're doing great. Seller packages the eggs and expects the box to be treated well. PO get the box and they stack other boxes on and around it. Nobody damaged it on purpose, it just happens. You're better off getting the eggs from someone here. If you just have to get a special breed nobody has up here, then order them express mail, better handling.

How could it remotely be the seller's fault?
Maybe her reply to you was based off how you approached the subject? (Not saying you were rude, it's just hard to discuss things online)
I ship a lot of things (not eggs, but I run a handmade soap business) and once I leave it at the post office, it's no longer my responsibility.
If the seller was responsible for damage done by the post office, she'd go out of business very quickly. Sympathize with the customer... offer to reship more eggs at a discount (if you're feeling generous). But like was stated above... you file the claim with USPS, you are the one getting reimbursed, so you can't expect a seller to resend things free or at a discount.
I'm afraid this is coming across rudely, and I hope that's not the case. Point is... it's not even close to being the sellers fault.

maby its not really the sellers fault. but i guess i feel its part of selling anything that well be shipped.i sell lots of things online if it arrives damaged to my customer i don't feel i can tell them to blame the post office not me i am having a difficult time to see this as any different with hatching eggs not guaranteeing fertility is a big difference then a box that got beat up in shipping.. and as i said before what gets me most is the seller s response.my first letter to the seller was just that my box took a big hit in the side just to see what the seller thought and i was hit with not my fault blame the post office not me almost word for word..

Are any of the eggs actually damaged? Just because the box got hit in the side doesn't mean the eggs are bad now. If there's no damage to the eggs the chances are they'll still hatch fine. If it's just the box that's damaged I don't see that the seller should have to replace anything, especially since you said that none of the eggs are broken. Have you tried setting them to see what happens? I think it's only fair to do that before opening a dispute with the seller, especially with no broken eggs. Just asking this because I didn't see anywhere that the eggs are too badly damaged to hatch or that you tried them but nothing happened.

Back
Top Bottom