box badly damaged in shipping eggs ebay

WalnutHill - I agree with everything you say in the context of a normal business transaction.

Buying and Selling via eBay is not a normal business transaction - when you use eBay as a middleman, you are under contractual obligation to follow the parameters they set for every deal.

Ebay's policies make it very clear that the seller is responsible for getting the item to the buyer in good shape - and that insurance is for the protection of the seller, not the buyer. If you don't want to eat the cost of replacing the item as a seller, you should be mandating insurance.

Agreed. eBay is not a normal business channel. PayPal adds even more risk for sellers from fraudulent buyers, just as credit card chargebacks do for retail merchants.

The first time I took someone to court for buying a computer, then initiating a chargeback with their credit card company, she was surprised. She said "I do this all the time, no one ever complains. Why are you? It's just a credit card company." What is this world coming to?

i am reasonable but i would like to add when i sent a picture to the seller and ask what do we do in this situation the reply was
(i did not do that to your box voice your opinion to the post office).where is the logic and reasoning in that reply?

Seller is not responsible. They usually state such in their ad. Eggs are a huge risk. They can't replace eggs every time something goes wrong. They'd go out of business.

WalnutHill - that is exactly the issue - it is beyond deciding you will replace the contents as a seller - I might or might not.

It is the sense of entitlement of perfection - not realizing things that any adult should realize. This type of logic is a detriment to capitalism.

AKM - You did not buy this from the post office - but you should have know some of the shipping risks - especially since you are in AK and everything has further to travel. So I think the answer you got was short - but accurate. I personally would have been nicer ... but that doesn't set things up for a charge back. If I lived in AK - I might insure anything I buy except for linen or clothes ... automatically thinking it might be crushed or part of a plane crash in bad weather .... would that be your seller's fault too ? Same thing.

That is why it is so easy to purchase insurance at the PO - they don't want caught up in things like this either.

The world is not a soft nor friendly place.

Going full circle to the original post...the BOX arrived with a dent, but the eggs are unbroken. Therefore the eggs DID arrive in the condition described, and if incubated have as good a chance as any shipped eggs. Rest those eggs and get them growing! Then let us know how they are doing.

Eggs are a pretty amazing package, and 80,000 cells that make a dot on a yolk are pretty robust.

Going full circle to the original post...the BOX arrived with a dent, but the eggs are unbroken.  Therefore the eggs DID arrive in the condition described, and if incubated have as good a chance as any shipped eggs.  Rest those eggs and get them growing!  Then let us know how they are doing.  

Eggs are a pretty amazing package, and 80,000 cells that make a dot on a yolk are pretty robust.

It's amazing the eggs are not broken. The seller deserved to be praised by the buyer and thanked! I bet the seller might have volunteered replacement eggs if the buyer had a bad hatch after they left great feedback and thanked seller for going above and beyond to pack those eggs so well that they survived the post offices neglect. Instead buyer is being unreasonable and isn't taking responsibility for their own lack of foresight in not purchasing extra insurance... I wouldn't respond well to such an accusatory attitude and sense of entitlement, either.

yes very true lets see if they develop if so all my aggravation was for nothing, things got out to a bad start.i would have liked it to have gone different a simple reply with a little courtesy would have gone a long way from the seller as you all know buying hatching eggs or hatching eggs is emotional experience to start with.if the eggs develop i certainly well not want anything from the seller.i well post as soon as i know more thank you everyone.

The seller still won't owe you anything if you have a bad hatch. I was simply saying that I know people who have been kind and friendly to the seller and then if they had a bad hatch the seller empathized with them and sent extra eggs at a discount or for free. I think you blew your chances either way. I certainly wouldn't send you eggs or ever sell to you again after you opened a claim for absolutely no reason. You had no right to go after the seller. If you get any chicks it will be lucky and if you get nothing you will have to learn to live with it. This is the post offices fault and even then how can you blame them? Those eggs traveled a long way, changed hands a lot. You didn't buy insurance... this is why so many good breeders refuse to sell eggs and many shipping companies refuse to ship eggs. this kind of attitude ruins it for everyone else.

it seems buying hatching eggs follows it own set of rules.i don't want to argue rights and wrongs with anyone all i want is my chicks to hatch.i been watching and wanting these birds for a long time if you cant understand where i am coming from i cant change that.

Back
Top Bottom