Boxes for storing canning jars

saysfaa

Free Ranging
6 Years
Jul 1, 2017
Upper Midwest, USA
Anyone have advice on (non-plastic) boxes for storing canning jars?

I've given up on finding grocery store boxes the right size.

I tried the heavy duty moving boxes from Lowes or Home Depot. They are almost close enough in length and width; I can make them work by how I make the dividers. I haven't solved the height, though. Two layers of jars will fit but then they are pretty heavy. Too heavy for me.

I found these for $1.73 each (in bundles of 25).
https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-21020/Corrugated-Boxes-200-Test/15-x-12-x-5-Corrugated-Boxes

They are just a tiny bit bigger than the cardboard boxes designed for wide mouth pint canning jars. If I understand the sizing correctly. Those boxes start at $4.60 (in bundles of ten).

For that much difference in price, I can adjust the dividers to fit small mouth pints well enough too. I think. The not-quite-fitting disadvantage would probably be offset by having all the boxes the same size.
Has anyone tried it?

I wish I knew for sure how heavy "200 pound test" cardboard is.

...I have made stands to put over section of the jars and then jars on top of those but never jars on jars, I was always told not to do that :idunno
What do you mean by "stands to put over section of the jars"?

When I do two layers, there is a thick piece of cardboard across the dividers of the lower layer. Then the upper layer with its dividers. None of the jars knock against any other jar to the side or top or underside of any other jar.

Is that what you mean?

Ideally, I would like purpose-made wooden shelves in a storeroom. That isn't going to happen until we have a different house.

Actually, ideally, I would like a set of shelves on wheels that pull out individually by their ends.

Maybe someday.

I call the local ABC store and they will save me boxes. I have to call because they crush them. These have dividers in them. Sometimes I have to rework the dividers to work with various jar sizes. They are heavy duty and free! Most will hold a dozen jars.
As for stacking jars, Mom always said not to stack because if a jar would have an incorrect seal she wanted to make sure to be able to tell esp when you store them a long while. So I do not stack.

I use plastic totes to store canned jars in our basement, but I do not ever stack jars. I have made stands to put over section of the jars and then jars on top of those but never jars on jars, I was always told not to do that :idunno
Is that normal tho or not normal to not store jars on jars?

Everyone I know stacks jars on jars pretty high. I've never heard people say you can't. Now I'm interested in knowing about that.

I call the local ABC store and they will save me boxes. I have to call because they crush them. These have dividers in them. Sometimes I have to rework the dividers to work with various jar sizes. They are heavy duty and free! Most will hold a dozen jars.
As for stacking jars, Mom always said not to stack because if a jar would have an incorrect seal she wanted to make sure to be able to tell esp when you store them a long while. So I do not stack.
This I had heard where people wanted to be able to check the seals. I think this might be the real reason people don't stack jars. But if you are canning a lot of stuff eventually you have to be able to stack them somehow or have a shelf system.

I used to run a 12x18 sheet fed printing press. I brought home the paper boxes to store quart jars of canned tomatoes. The boxes will hold 15 jars. The top half of the box is sitting on the top of the jars, but the jar is covered. Because of the weight, I only stack them two boxes high.

I use them to store empty jars as well. I put the jar upside down to keep out any possible bugs. I'll stack boxes of empties three high, since they're much lighter.

The boxes have held up very well. I wrote the contents and date on the ends and tops of the boxes, and several have been in use since 2015.

I had a local carpenter make me some wood boxes/crates for my canned goods. I also use the plastic crates used for 6-packs of soda bottles whenever I can find some. I HATE cardboard boxes, even the ones the jars come in with dividers. Cardboard disintegrates and attracts critters. I want a storage system that will last for decades. I could not find anything suitable on the retail market, Ebay or elsewhere, so I had a dozen wood crates made. He charged me $12.50 each.

They're stackable (supported on the ends) when filled with pint jars. I'm going to have him make more with taller sides for quart jars:

1691373148803.png

1691373175342.png

1691373214247.png

Back
Top Bottom