Boy, shipping eggs has been rough this year!

KYBOY

Crowing
16 Years
Mar 8, 2008
Eastern,Kentucky
I know shipping eggs is a crap shot to begin with but this year has been rough. Getting smashed, torn boxes. 20%-35% hatch rates which is not normal for me at all. More than half the eggs have been showing up with detached air cells. Just got a shipment that had 11 out of 14 detached. Packaged very well just handled like a football:rolleyes: this is getting expensive:(

I know exactly what you mean. I ordered 12 naked neck and 8 americauna eggs this last month. 1 of the eggs were cracked, but the rest were in good condition except 6 total had detached air sacks. I tried stabilizing the air sacks, but it didn't do any good. None of those did anything.

Oh I am in the same boat!! I have received 11 or 12 boxes and I don't have many chicks to show for it. I have hatched plenty of my own and some other local eggs so I am 100% sure its NOT my incubator! It seems like the P.O just doesn't care what is in these packages.

I know shipping eggs is a crap shot to begin with but this year has been rough. Getting smashed, torn boxes. 20%-35% hatch rates which is not normal for me at all. More than half the eggs have been showing up with detached air cells. Just got a shipment that had 11 out of 14 detached. Packaged very well just handled like a football:rolleyes: this is getting expensive:(

I sell stuff on Ebay a lot (not eggs tho) and was told by my postmaster that no matter what the box is marked it has to survive a 10 foot drop.. All packages are placed in large bins and depending on where it is in the bin, when the bin is turned over the box gets dumped with the rest.. I asked her because I was shipping some very fragile glassware..
She told me it didn't matter what was written on the box.. Should have asked if even Fragile hatching eggs were marked on the box if they were treated the same way...

Ive spent about $400 on eggs. I have 6 chocks from the 1st 40 eggs. Second 40 incubating. At this raye ill get 12 chicks for 400 dollars. Shoulda just bought chicks from Greenfire!

That insane! What's the point of marking anything then! That's really aggravating considering what consumers pay on postage!

Like I said, don't know that's it is different if live hatching eggs is written on the box, but considering how Government runs things I am not to hopeful... I know there are some that have had great experiences with shipped eggs but I believe that's more the exception than the rule.

That insane! What's the point of marking anything then! That's really aggravating considering what consumers pay on postage!

Like I said, don't know that's it is different if live hatching eggs is written on the box, but considering how Government runs things I am not to hopeful... I know there are some that have had great experiences with shipped eggs but I believe that's more the exception than the rule.

I fully accept the risks and expect low rates. I am starting a few new breeds so once I get a few can hatch my own. American bresse is one new breed I'm trying out

its just one of those things. If I want BCM, Welsummers,Silkies or any other quality chicken I have to order them. I have no choice, I just have to accept the looses but man this year the looses have been pretty bad.

Back
Top Bottom