Boys or Girls?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Adammacaskill, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Adammacaskill

Adammacaskill New Egg

Aug 24, 2009
    Hey guys,

I have been reading and looking and everyday I change my mind If i have a roo or two amongst my flock, as unfortunatly we are not allowed Roo`s where I live.

Please help put me out of my misery [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I really hope she is a she as i think she is soo pretty

[​IMG]

The one on the right is the one i think may be a roo, here is a close up

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance!

PS: They were all sold too me as pullets.

2. Capone

Capone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Rhode Island
    it is my humble apinion that the black one is a roo and the others a hens

3. Adammacaskill

Adammacaskill New Egg

Aug 24, 2009
    I was hoping you wouldnt say that [​IMG]...

Why do you say Roo? is it because of the waddles/comb?

here is another pic of the rir that I am worried about.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
  4. Birdgirl

Birdgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Indiana
    it looks to me as if you have all roos!!!! someone took you. How old are they? yes the waddles and combs are red and big and tail feathers are making me think roos.

5. Adammacaskill

Adammacaskill New Egg

Aug 24, 2009
    I was worried about that ... [​IMG]

About 4 months i think, not exactly sure tho. nobody is crowing or laying yet

6. pixie74943

pixie74943 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Adelaide, Australia
    No way they're 4 months.. If they were 4month old boys, they would look WAAAAAAAAAAAY rooster-ey-er than they do, and if they're girls they should be laying...

EDIT:: wait a minute.. I cant count.. 4 months ='s 16weeks Silly me... just ignore everything above

The black doesnt seem to have the long manly saddle feathers, but his/her face is REALLY red, and the RIR has a small ish come (smaller than my Australorp Pullet whose 6months-ish) but s/he has got curly-ish saddle feathers...

7. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Four months is much to early to expect them to be laying. Most start around 24-26 weeks which is still 2 months off.

8. pixie74943

pixie74943 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Adelaide, Australia
    Quote:I realised that.. for some reason I thought that 4 months was ALOT longer than 16weeks.. silly silly person that I am *shakes head at self*

9. Adammacaskill

Adammacaskill New Egg

Aug 24, 2009
    I got the red girls on the 1st july, and was told they were bewteen 6-8 weeks then. so that should make them about 4 months now. ish? and I got the black one a little later, but asumed he/she was maybe a little bit older based on size.

To make it more confusing the black one was mounting one of my older isa brown hens the other day, but still have not heard any crowing at all
    Yeah I cannot see any saddle feathers on the black one, they all seem to be round. and i read somewhere that austalorps (which i assume she is at least partly) are known to have big combs and wattles in hens..was hoping maybe she is nearly ready to lay?

And yeah i think i can see the saddle feathers starting on the older looking RIR, and he/she seems to stand taller more like a rooster, but no crowing.. [​IMG]

LOL the more i think about it and research the more i seem to get confused!!

10. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    If I had a dollar for every "brain cramp" I've had over my many years I could afford to pay someone to take care of my chickens for me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by