Boys vs Girls

MamacatPatch

Crowing
15 Years
Jul 10, 2007
We have 30 chickens of various varieties. Hubby had chickens as a boy and I have never had them [except as a meal!]. I ask him a lot of questions about them, but he just shrugs his shoulders so he either apparently doesn't know or has forgotten.

The chickens are about 16 weeks old now and the roosters are fighting each other and pecking at my feet! Now I go into the run with a BIG STICK and smack em if they approach. I read the articles about being the Alpha Male and will try those suggestions hoping it's not too late to become the Alpha Male! Oddly enough, it's not the Alpha Male who is pecking me, but a different rooster. Many of them look alike so I still haven't figured out who is what yet.

Should there eventually only supposed to be one rooster? What is a good ratio of roosters to hens?

How do you tell the boys from the girls? Is it only the boys who have the big combs and wattles?

well, the roosters, when they get older, should have a bigger comb and bigger wattles. Also, the ratio of roosters to hens probebly should be 1 roo to 5 hens

You should have only 1 roo to 10-12 hens. To many roos are bad for the hens are far as over mating goes and to many roos will cause a lot of fighting and stress in your flock.

Yeah, I think we got way too many RooS! That's why I need to definitely figure out who is a Roo and who isn't! HA.

We have 30 and I just picked them out as chickies by their color and the local 'Farm' store. Maybe I'll go out and try to take pix of each of them. The problem is, so many look exactly alike! Wish I could TAG them or COLOR CODE them somehow! LOL

At 16 weeks old you should be able to tell who's who by the size of the wattles and comb. At that age they should be looking very different from the hens. Some breeds are harder to tell then others. Try to post pics if you can. I have 24 and I don't think I could get individual pics of mine, try to get some good group pictures that'll work.

Yep, one roo to 12 to 14 hens is enough. Chickens really don't need a big stick unless you want a problem flock that isn't friendly.
Proper management of your flock with only one roo will settle everyone down and create a good situation for all.

Treats and being their friend is priceless in the chicken world.

bigzio

Ok, finally got a couple shots with some of them in a group in the coop! Need help with identifying their breeds and, if possible, the genders???

If they crow, they're roosters, right?

coopgroupqq3.jpg

coopgroup2gg1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom