1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

BR, RIR, or Aussies?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Country Parson, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Country Parson

Country Parson Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2010
    Bellefontaine, OH
    I will soon be ordering replacement pullets, but hope to start hatching out my own this Summer/Fall. I'v narrowed down my breeds to Barred Rock, Road Island Reds, and Black Austrolops. Since I will hatch out, I will obviously get some males. Out of those three breeds, which makes a better meat bird?

2. CALI CHICK

CALI CHICK Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Rio Linda, CA
    Hmmmm, we have Buff Orpingtons, BR and RIR, but not Austrolops, so I could only compare the BR and RIR for you.

Our Rhode Island Red is scrawny and at the bottom of the pecking order (surprisingly). However, our Barred Rock (hen) is huge compared to the other girls. So, I'm guessing the BR roosters would get to be a pretty good size meal for you! Barred Rock hens and roosters are supposed to be a great dual purpose bird - they have a lot of personality, are gentle and get to a good size!

3. SowdersHomestead

SowdersHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2011
    Fostoria, Ohio
    Well I have Buffs and Australorps. The Lorps are only 9 months old and are big. The Pullets have been laying all winter. Out of 5 I get minimum 3 eggs a day. In my opinion the Lorps would make a great DP bird.

4. jessicayarno

jessicayarno Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I would suggest either the BR or Australorps. You would be better off if you could start with breeder stock, but if that isn't possible, it's just going to take a little longer to get a good sized meat bird in a shorter amount of time. You will just have to select the biggest birds to breed and so on and so forth. Good luck, I am planning to do this also but I am leaning towards Black sexlinks and Delawares..

5. Ibicella

Ibicella Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2009
    Everett, WA
    I'd say go with BR or Blk. Aus. They are bigger and meatier than the RIR in my experience.

6. Smiles-N-Sunshine

Smiles-N-Sunshine Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2008
    Palominas, Arizona
    I've been very happy with the results from processing our Australorp cockerels. We also had Australorp x Barred Rock crosses for a while, and they came out about the same.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by