BR roo?

pepperkorn67

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 23, 2011
Hi all - we have 9 Barred rocks and they all look exactly alike. they pretty much all had big yellow dots on their heads as chicks - they were splotchy and ran down their necks a little too. I started paying attention to this when they were all about 4 days old - dont know if spots spread by then -- but I began writing them all off as .. well.. dinner hence our most favorite name: Kung Pao.

so here are my assorted pictures. They all look alike to me -- I can tell them all apart but they all look the same color for the most part

photo-6.jpg

my BRs... you can see the black jersey giants in the back.

Kung Pao (s/he gets no dinner invitation - THE best little guy ever - looks after all the runts and keeps the bullies in line - he grew the fastest of all the chicks - he's about 2 or 3 days ahead of all the others I'd say. S/he's staying - practically a family member now!)
photo-2.jpg

another KP
photo-1.jpg

an arial shot so you can see how their color compares to the JGs
photo-5.jpg

We got them all at about 1 day old on April 21st - so they are around 4 weeks old

Last edited:
I would have the hardest time eating chickens I raised. More power to you, I can barely stomach chicken noodle soup now that I have these girls!!!
big_smile.png

Your chicks are absolutely beautiful
smile.png

thanks. Our 8 year old has boycotted chicken fingers -- "Until our chicks get to the ugly stage"

Last edited:
oh boy... so we have 9 BR gals and 8 jersey giant! EGG CITY!!!

Thanks you guys. I felt dumb posting since you have had so many helpful pics in the past but I couldn't believe I had NO roos. I had nothing to compare the ladies to in real life AND my stock clearly doesn't have the dot rule down.

My daughter is so happy...

Back
Top Bottom