11 Years
May 23, 2008
Guthrie, OK
100_0883.jpg

Suspected Roo

The whole crew:
100_0881.jpg

See why I'm curious??

Does sexing by color really work with Barred Rocks? Three of my chis are very dark, but one (my fav of course) looks half black half white.....

Last edited:
How old? In my experience, most of my roosters have been a lighter shade or grey and the hens have been darker in color as they start to feather.

About three weeks now, I think. They are feathering out and thats what I was afraid you were going to say
barnie.gif
it had to be my favorite one!!

I am no expert when it comes to BR chicks I only have two ---

but here is my rooster Maverick - he is alot darker than Annabelle

S6300837.jpg

This is my hen Annabelle - both of these are the same age

S6300841.jpg

these are from Privett hatchery so I dont know if that has anything to do with the fact my roo is darker and the hen is lighter ??

but I will say this Maverick is a sweetheart
love.gif

- no Maverick does not look darker because of shadows in the house or anything he is juat as dark outside in the sun -

Last edited:
How funny!!! Mine are just the opposite, and from a hatchery called Phinneys, here in Washington state. Is it possible the hathcheries might breed them to get different tones in the male and female for sexing purposes???

Last edited:
I am almost positive the females are darker than the males,,,,from the time they get their feathers on. The females also ussually have dark (more dark) on their legs.

I have 9 week old females and there are a few that
are lighter in color. Even on the legs.
But they're still females.

So, I don't know if the color holds true much anymore.

Back
Top Bottom