What breed or mixes could these be?

Katkinson

In the Brooder
Mar 12, 2024
My mother in law found most of her chickens from a local facebook group. She wants help getting breeds or if they are mixed get some ideas!

#1 the white chicken with dark face
#2 the redish orange chicken
#3 the black chicken suspected to be a silkie, but has some of the same iridescent coloring as her Ayam Cemani Roo (not from same breeder)
#4 Grey and black, I only have 1 picture because she is very shy and nervous
IMG_1871.jpeg
IMG_1870.jpeg
IMG_1879.jpeg
IMG_1868.jpeg
IMG_1864.jpeg
IMG_1866.jpeg
IMG_1878.jpeg

#1 Silkie...looks like a rooster with that much comb. Does it crow?

#2 Easter Egger/Ameraucana mix. Nice hen. Should lay blue/green eggs.

#3 Silkie mix. Looks to be a hen.

#4 Could be a number of things but I'm thinking Blue Orpington, if it lays cream to light tan eggs. It *might* be a Blue Marans American style, without foot feathering, especially if it is laying darker brown/clay pot colored eggs. Nice hen.

My 2 cents.

LofMc

#4 Could be a number of things but I'm thinking Blue Orpington, if it lays cream to light tan eggs. It *might* be a Blue Marans American style, without foot feathering, especially if it is laying darker brown/clay pot colored eggs. Nice hen.

My 2 cents.

LofMc
Thank you!
#1 lays eggs and does not crow, she is just packing a little extra in the comb department I guess!

We are going to be on the look out for egg colors vs hens, she has a variety of colors!

Thank you!
#1 lays eggs and does not crow, she is just packing a little extra in the comb department I guess!

We are going to be on the look out for egg colors vs hens, she has a variety of colors!
Oh my...she is a precocious girl. Looking closer, at the tail feathers, she is a Silkie mix too, which is why she shows more comb and Silkie girls have no comb to speak of.

Nice hens. :)

My mother in law found most of her chickens from a local facebook group. She wants help getting breeds or if they are mixed get some ideas!

She is a Silkie-mix.
She cannot be a pure Silkie, because she does not have the silkie feathers. She is almost certainly part Silkie because of how many other features she has in common with Silkies (black skin & comb, general comb shape, crest, beard, feathered feet. I can't tell if she's got the extra toe or not.) I would guess Silkie father, other-breed mother, because of how the dark skin is inherited. Or she could be a multi-generation cross (Silkie-mix to another Silkie-mix could easily produce a chicken like her.)

Probably came from a mixing of breeds in someone's backyard flock.

Probably an Easter Egger.
If she lays blue or green eggs, definitely an Easter Egger. Probably comes from a hatchery, maybe by way of Tractor Supply or a similar store, but could also come from breeding Easter Eggers to each other or to other breeds in a backyard flock.

#3 the black chicken suspected to be a silkie, but has some of the same iridescent coloring as her Ayam Cemani Roo (not from same breeder)
Silkie mix. Same notes/reasons as #1.
The different comb sizes on #1 and #2 are just caused by slightly different combinations of genes that control the size of the comb.

She has a rose comb, and is the color called "blue."
She is definitely a mix of some sort, probably hatched from someone's backyard flock and not bought from a hatchery or a store that orders hatchery chicks.

Her parents might be something like Wyandotte (any color) x Sapphire Gem. That would be one breed with a rose comb and one with blue coloring, both breeds being fairly common in backyard flocks. But there are many other combinations mixes that could also cause that set of traits.

If any of them lay blue or green eggs, they could also be called Easter Eggers. It is quite possible to have a Silkie-mix that is also an Easter Egger, or a Wyandotte mix that is also an Easter Egger, etc.

My 2 cents.
I disagree about the breed of #1 (you missed the non-Silkie feathers). Apart from OP saying it's a hen, I'm going to point out that it has no male-specific feathering, and some hens can have large combs too (Extreme examples: Leghorns, Red Cap breed)

I also disagree about #4 (you missed the rose comb, so both of your suggestions have single combs.)

Silkie mix, not a pure Silkie.

Easter Egger, which is a mixed breed that has at least one Ameraucana parent in its lineage and carries the blue, green or pink egg gene.

Silkie mix again. A sheen on the feathers means nothing, it is simply how the sunlight reflects.

Mixed breed, likely having Wyandotte and Sapphire Gem genetics. She is not gray and black, she is blue.

She is a Silkie-mix.
She cannot be a pure Silkie, because she does not have the silkie feathers. She is almost certainly part Silkie because of how many other features she has in common with Silkies (black skin & comb, general comb shape, crest, beard, feathered feet. I can't tell if she's got the extra toe or not.) I would guess Silkie father, other-breed mother, because of how the dark skin is inherited. Or she could be a multi-generation cross (Silkie-mix to another Silkie-mix could easily produce a chicken like her.)

Probably came from a mixing of breeds in someone's backyard flock.

Probably an Easter Egger.
If she lays blue or green eggs, definitely an Easter Egger. Probably comes from a hatchery, maybe by way of Tractor Supply or a similar store, but could also come from breeding Easter Eggers to each other or to other breeds in a backyard flock.

Silkie mix. Same notes/reasons as #1.
The different comb sizes on #1 and #2 are just caused by slightly different combinations of genes that control the size of the comb.

She has a rose comb, and is the color called "blue."
She is definitely a mix of some sort, probably hatched from someone's backyard flock and not bought from a hatchery or a store that orders hatchery chicks.

Her parents might be something like Wyandotte (any color) x Sapphire Gem. That would be one breed with a rose comb and one with blue coloring, both breeds being fairly common in backyard flocks. But there are many other combinations mixes that could also cause that set of traits.

If any of them lay blue or green eggs, they could also be called Easter Eggers. It is quite possible to have a Silkie-mix that is also an Easter Egger, or a Wyandotte mix that is also an Easter Egger, etc.

I disagree about the breed of #1 (you missed the non-Silkie feathers). Apart from OP saying it's a hen, I'm going to point out that it has no male-specific feathering, and some hens can have large combs too (Extreme examples: Leghorns, Red Cap breed)

I also disagree about #4 (you missed the rose comb, so both of your suggestions have single combs.)

I corrected #1 in follow up comment to Silkie mix...and agreed hen. (See above).

My screen resolution (which perhaps is different) makes the comb look like a flopped over single with "teeth" facing the camera...but I'll not argue if your eyes are better than mine and think rosecomb. Arguing rosecomb....hmmmm....a blue rosecomb breed...probably Wyandotte then...but not beige legs....but my experience a lot of blues end up with grey legs.

LofMc

My screen resolution (which perhaps is different) makes the comb look like a flopped over single with "teeth" facing the camera...but I'll not argue if your eyes are better than mine and think rosecomb. Arguing rosecomb....hmmmm....a blue rosecomb breed...probably Wyandotte then...but not beige legs....but my experience a lot of blues end up with grey legs.
Hmm, good point about the comb. I didn't think of that explanation, but now that you mention it I see that could be a possibility.

Now I'm not sure about that comb type.

I really don't know about that one, but I think it's more likely to be a mix than any specific pure breed (given what we have been told about where the birds came from, and given what it looks like.) There are just so many things that could be in the mix!

Back
Top Bottom