Brabanters and Spitzhaubens--The Differences PIC HEAVY!

Been wanting some hatching eggs.

The Spitz chicks are going for the first culling, with mop heads, slicked backs, barred featherings or weird birchen lacing going on and I have possibly two cockerals in that lot, combs pinking up while the others are not.

Pretty eye candies!

Pay attention to the crests, cull out any offsprings that don't meet the crest and other undesirable traits. Sometimes it is all we got to work with!

Yes, sad isn't it? I have not hatched any of my own eggs from this bunch. The hens are even worse than he is... as you can see in the background of the second picture. I lost my older flock (all three of them) last summer to the excessively rainy weather (I guess). I think they had some potential as breeders but I kept them as pets for two years and then got interested in breeding... too late. I ordered these last spring... thinking second flock... a little diversity... book learning and no experience... not a great combination. But I have some coming from Sand Hill in a week. Cross your fingers for me please... i just want a half way decent start.

I think these birds are beautiful and love their personality so if they can't be bred I still enjoy watching them. They like my singing too!

So cute! Mine are ugly ducklings at this stage. Their mowhawks are all out like bad hair days and one pullet has a few feathers on her head tipped forward...not sure what she will look like at maturity. I hope it does not come out like a cockatoo crest!

They are very good about laying in the sun as well!

Back
Top Bottom