Brabanters and Spitzhaubens--The Differences PIC HEAVY!

Thanks both of you for the Info. But from what I've read (a lot from this thread 2 yrs ago) it *is something that can pass to your other birds, either by chicken poo or direct contact. It's not only spread through hatching eggs together. It's not the Spitz I'm most worried about as the ones I'd be getting are adults. It's my *other birds. So you all would mix untested Spitz (someone said they're ALL carriers anyway) with all your other birds? I do bleach my shoes before entering pens of birds under 6 months. However I don't want to pen the Spitz 200 yards away in isolation and bleach my shoes for their entire lifetime.
Edit:
Here's some more I found. AllanRanch, I think it was your post I read that said all Spitz either have it or are carriers, period. This really has me concerned and it's the deciding factor in getting these birds that I've wanted for so so long. I can't risk my other birds.

Characteristically, lymphoid leukosis is a disease of adult chickens; however, the disease appears to be increasing in importance for turkeys and game birds. Although the virus of lymphoid leukosis can produce various responses (blood, bone, lymph), the lymphoid tumor response is the most common.
The disease is transmitted in a variety of ways. The causative viral agent is passed out of the body of infected birds via eggs and feces. The virus may be transmitted mechanically from infected birds to susceptibles by blood-sucking parasites or by man in such procedures as fowl pox vaccination.
Lymphoid leukosis characteristically produces lymphoid tumors, particularly in the liver and spleen. The tumors may also affect other visceral organs such as ovary and lungs. Affected birds may die without preliminary symptoms, but the disease usually is chronic in nature and affected birds show loss of appetite, progressive emaciation and diarrhea. Clinically affected birds invariably die. Losses due to the disease are most severe shortly after onset of egg production, but losses will continue for as long as the flock is retained. Total loss may approach twenty percent during the life of a flock.

Last edited:
The disease is transmitted in a variety of ways. The causative viral agent is passed out of the body of infected birds via eggs and feces. The virus may be transmitted mechanically from infected birds to susceptibles by blood-sucking parasites or by man in such procedures as fowl pox vaccination.

There are two types of LLV that are typically seen in the US, The "regular" LLV and the "J" LLV. The regular virus is transmitted vertically from hen to egg. The J virus can spread horizontally through feces. Neither is airborne. None of my birds ever tested positive for the "J" virus.

However, the statement that " The virus may be transmitted mechanically from infected birds to susceptibles by blood-sucking parasites or by man in such procedures as fowl pox vaccination." is also true, and something I forgot about. The avian vet I talked with extensively regarding LLV did say that using the same puncture device for fowl pox vaccination (even though sterilized between birds) can spread the disease. He was also the one who told me that "probably" all Spitz in the US had the disease, and it is "mostly" found in fancy breeds.

Since none of my other breeds has ever been diagnosed with LLV in my nine years of raising Spitz, I really don't worry about mosquitoes or other blood suckers spreading the disease any more. I don't mix my breeds, but they are in pens next to each other. I used to vaccinate for fowl pox, and none of my other birds came down with LLV either. (I don't vaccinate anymore because it is too much trouble for the number of birds I have, and it is easier to treat individual birds who may get it.)

I respect your concern regarding LLV and the exposure to your other birds. It certainally sounds scary. I learned to live with it and just be cautious when hatching. It is an individual choice.

Last edited:
There are two types of LLV that are typically seen in the US, The "regular" LLV and the "J" LLV. The regular virus is transmitted vertically from hen to egg. The J virus can spread horizontally through feces. Neither is airborne. None of my birds ever tested positive for the "J" virus.
However, the statement that " The virus may be transmitted mechanically from infected birds to susceptibles by blood-sucking parasites or by man in such procedures as fowl pox vaccination." is also true, and something I forgot about. The avian vet I talked with extensively regarding LLV did say that using the same puncture device for fowl pox vaccination (even though sterilized between birds) can spread the disease. He was also the one who told me that "probably" all Spitz in the US had the disease, and it is "mostly" found in fancy breeds.
Since none of my other breeds has ever been diagnosed with LLV in my nine years of raising Spitz, I really don't worry about mosquitoes or other blood suckers spreading the disease any more. I don't mix my breeds, but they are in pens next to each other. I used to vaccinate for fowl pox, and none of my other birds came down with LLV either. (I don't vaccinate anymore because it is too much trouble for the number of birds I have, and it is easier to treat individual birds who may get it.)
I respect your concern regarding LLV and the exposure to your other birds. It certainally sounds scary. I learned to live with it and just be cautious when hatching. It is an individual choice.
Thank you very much for taking the time. I've had quite the difficult time trying to decipher fact from myth about this disease. Typical of the internet, I'm sure. However without the internet I wouldn't have known about these birds anyway. If I had no other birds I wouldn't worry about it and if my birds weren't primarily pets I probably wouldn't care as much. As it is I've got enough to worry about with all the other things to do with poultry and as much as I love how these birds look I'm going to pass on them.
Do Brabanters have the same problem?

All my original Brabanters came from Ideal Hatchery, and the one I tested for LLV was negative.
Well that certainly makes me feel better. Maybe the answer for me is to find some Brabanter eggs. I'll see if I can find any info on whether this problem has cropped up in Brabanter.
Thank you.

Yep I agree with Carla, its the individual choice and understanding the risks of raising these Spitzhaubens. So far, so good!

As for me, I am not worried about it. I will worry about it if something like that is popping up in my flock more often than every once in a blue moon kind of event. Yes it is expensive to get the birds tested for LLV.

My loan AS chick.. product of my former hen Harley and Patricia's roo Bowie (RIP). almost 5 weeks old... Lovin the crest so far
fl.gif
be a girl

Hello all
frow.gif

I have 7 Spitz babies that I got last week. I'm very excited to have them and learn all I can about them. I posted some pictures elsewhere and haven't had any responses other then one telling me to try here. I was hoping to get some feedback on how well I did in picking. I picked the ones with the most forward crests I could...but I'm not sure about spangling, or other things I should be looking for. I'm not sure, but I think I have 3 roos and 4 pullets. They were hatched April 7th.

Deanna

They are pretty! Dont worry about the spangling yet until they get their adult feathers in. The last two pictures I see cockerals.

Back
Top Bottom