Brabanters and Spitzhaubens--The Differences PIC HEAVY!

Pics
I have 2 golden brabanters, They are a hoot, crazy. They run from me little brats, but if the get out of there cage then they want to run right back in, lol
This is them back in spring time, tehy are now comeing into there color really nice
13887_imag0048.jpg

Last edited:
I think there was some mention earlier in the thread about the birds being very slow maturing. When did everyone's pullet's start laying? I am more interested in the Brabanter.

Also, does anyone know if the "Cream" in the Brabanter is truly the lemon/cream color found in other breeds (Also called Citron in some breeds, I think,) or is it closer to some other color?

Some of my Brabanters started laying around 6 months old. Because of the shorter days, molt, and heat of September, the rest probably will not start laying until the Spring.

The Cream Brabanter is not a recognized variety in Europe. It is a beautiful color, but is not mentioned in the standard.

My Brabanters are much friendlier than my Spitz. Although a little flighty, they will eat out of my hand, jump up to be petted, etc.

Quote:
Well, as for the cream, I'm actually kind of interested in using a spare roo to introduce the color to a mixed flock I am planning, so I'm not a stickler for whether or not it is in the standard...even though there is no US standard? It appears as if the US Cream Brabanter is possibly a combination of the Chamois and Gold, since it looks to be a diluted buff base with both black half-moon spangles and the white markings as well?

If the color is consistent and breeds true, I don't see why it wouldn't be added to any proposed US standard. But that's a whole different can of worms!
wink.png

My chickens, including Brabanters are not flighty because they are used to treats and my presence. They wait at the gate when they see me coming so they can find out what the new treat is for today. I can pick them up, the younger birds or just those who a less frequently handled squawk initially but become relaxed after I pet their heads and wings etc. They do not jump up on my lap but I do not think that I want them to be so friendly that they are pesky as a puppy. I think that the more time that you spend with an animal, the more familiar and relaxed they could be. In general the only bird that I have not liked was a bantam leghorn rooster who attacked me and was sent to freezer camp.

Quote:
Same with mine, she did not start laying actully 7 months or so, and then nothing a month after and then had 6 eggs and then nothing again sinse.

Mine are four months old and the two roosters are still challenging each other. I did hear one try to crow on occasion. I hope they remain quite until I get to rehome them or find someone who will keep them for me.
Finally I was able to upload this picture of my one hen with a rooster in the foreground !
31570_img_0014.jpg

Last edited:
Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

Quote:
They're awesome looking!
love.gif

Wish I was closer!
barnie.gif

Me too because they are pretty nice. I did order pullets but you know how that goes. This morning the boys had a little crowing contest until I enter their run. I am still trying to decide their fate !
Oh and thank you for the compliment but I had nothing to do with it. sigh​

Quote:
They're awesome looking!
love.gif

Wish I was closer!
barnie.gif

Me too because they are pretty nice. I did order pullets but you know how that goes. This morning the boys had a little crowing contest until I enter their run. I am still trying to decide their fate !
Oh and thank you for the compliment but I had nothing to do with it. sigh

Yep, know how that goes!
tongue.png

Just curious, but why can you keep them? They're beautiful boys!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom