Brabanters and Spitzhaubens--The Differences PIC HEAVY!

this is my 2 yr old roo. I don't have a photo of the young cockerels that may replace him.

Here are the youngsters (taken a couple of weeks ago). I think the pullet front and center has too much black in her crest and body. Also some of those black feathers have black lacing. Not good; right? The pullet to the right has a very tiny crest. I'm waiting to see if it develops into a nice Mohawk.
well that's a start. I'll try getting more photos.

You've got some nice looking birds!
I'm only a couple years into spitz as well, but look to the European standards for direction:
http://www.appenzellerspitzhauben.co.uk/standards
Seems like crest feathers usually lighten as the birds mature. Just the right amount of black in the body is s good goal. Seems like too much black is more common than not enough. I think spangles become lacing when one of the three spangle genes (Pg/Db/Ml) is missing but u should be able to breed back towards spangle. IMO. Breeding toward type and color is so humbling, but the breed is so worth it!!

Phoredaburds, thank you for replying. Yes the European standard is what I have been using. However it isn't clear to me what the "spangle" should look like. As I mentioned some of my birds have a black teardrop shape at the tip of their feathers and others have a crescent shape. I'm thinking the crescent might be more correct but not sure. The standard doesn't go into detail about what the spangles should look like. I'll let them grow out a little more before deciding but hope I make the right choices.

Per standard, the spangle should be as V shaped as possible, not inclined toward lacing or round. I suppose that could be called cresant shaped. My eye prefers the round spangles tho I know it's not correct for standard :D. I hear u on waiting so see who the culls are. Their colors change so much in their first year. Tough to know who the keepers are.

Yes, I have to be patient. The largest group is 3 MO old now. If I only keep the ones with crescent shaped spangling it definitely reduces the choices. Eliminating crests that are too big and those that are black narrows it down even more.
I've made a speadsheet to use the point system for each bird. It's interesting.

I'd love to see ur spreadsheet. Sounds like a great idea. I've got one I use for all my birds to help figure out who is staying & who is going. However, I don't include the subtle reasons for culling.
Id hold off moving birds w dark crests. I have a couple birds whose dark crests lightened up quite a bit as the birds matured. And it seems easier to lighten the color of the crest than to fix the shape & direction of it.

I'll send you the spreadsheet the next time I'm on my desk top.
Thanks for the advice about the black crests. I've noticed the body color lightens up as they grow. I'll be patient and hope the crests do the same....I wanted an excuse to keep them anyway. :)
And, referring to your previous post about the spangles being a "V" shape, where did you read that? The standard I have doesn't go into that much detail. It's only two pages. Do you have a more detailed one?

Speaking of parting with, I sold Beaker to a man with a mixed flock. He will have 20 hens to watch over.
wink.png
Beaker will be happy, the man is happy, and I am happy because now I don't have to worry whether he would continue to get along with my Legbar rooster. Maybe next year I will try again with vent sexed pullets, instead of straight run, to get my Spitzhauben hen.

So long, Beaker.

(He did fill out quite a bit since I last posted him.)

Speaking of parting with, I sold Beaker to a man with a mixed flock. He will have 20 hens to watch over. ;) Beaker will be happy, the man is happy, and I am happy because now I don't have to worry whether he would continue to get along with my Legbar rooster. Maybe next year I will try again with vent sexed pullets, instead of straight run, to get my Spitzhauben hen. So long, Beaker. (He did fill out quite a bit since I last posted him.)
He's a lucky guy! Go Beaker! :)

Back
Top Bottom