Brabanters and Spitzhaubens--The Differences PIC HEAVY!

Pics
Quote:
that is where the sex-linked color ends.................if you breed like colors to each other.........................................chrisf

Last edited:
dawgsgal said:
Can anyone let me know if they have or know of anyone who has gold brabanters hatching eggs for sale. Love these birds have had our female for a year the male did not make it he was taken at bay by a hawk now we would love to try and expand and bread here in GA.

Thanks

I wish you were closer and I would give you a nice Brabanter rooster. Because of the heat and molt, most of my birds have stopped laying. Ask again in the Spring, and there should be plenty of people with eggs to sell.​

Quote:
I assumed the off spring would be Silver and Cream rather than gold. It was the sex linked part that was news to me.

Cream Brabanters are genetically gold with the cream gene(ig). Crossing a male Cream Brabanter with a Silver Spitzhauben female will result in gold females and silver/gold males. All would be carriers for cream.

Last edited:
It looks like seven of my nine Spitzhaubens chicks are pullets. Of the two males, I need to cull one for wry neck. Have treated him for a week, with no improvement. Had another with wry neck years ago and ended up having to cull him also. Hope the remaining cockerel turns out good. LOL - one year I hatched 33 Spitz, and 22 were males. Go figure.

All of the chicks were hatched by broodies and I don't have any with crooked toes. Two years ago, I hatched all crooked toes, but none of the parents had any. Appears to have been my incubator's fault, like I thought.

Only hatched four gold Brabanters - one male, three females. One of the girls got caught between some shade cloth and the fence and died from heat exhaustion. She was the only one that I would have kept. Am keeping the male as he is a better roo than his dad. One of the pullets looks like a beautiful gold laced Polish. The other has no crest.

Will get some recent pictures and post them tomorrow.

Quote:
Spitzes are the only breed I've ever hatched where I didn't get at least 75% males.....I hatched 9 eggs, 8 girls and one boy. I'd love it if I could do that with all my breeds!!!!!!

Quote:
I assumed the off spring would be Silver and Cream rather than gold. It was the sex linked part that was news to me.

Cream Brabanters are genetically gold with the cream gene(ig). Crossing a male Cream Brabanter with a Silver Spitzhauben female will result in gold females and silver/gold males. All would be carriers for cream.

Dont know if cream is dominant or not, If it is recessive, you'll get splits. (carry it but don't express it) Otherwise, they'll carry and express it but are incomplete(birds that look cream but are only half cream).............................................................................chrisf

Last edited:
Quote:

Dont know if cream is dominant or not, If it is recessive, you'll get splits. (carry it but don't express it) Otherwise, they'll carry and express it but are incomplete(birds that look cream but are only half cream).............................................................................chrisf

It is recessive. I dont know if any silver Spitzhaubens have the cream gene, if some do then there would be a possibility of a cream F1 pullet.

Quote:

It is recessive. I dont know if any silver Spitzhaubens have the cream gene, if some do then there would be a possibility of a cream F1 pullet.

Are you into genetics? I was wondering what I'd get if I bred a Buff Polish to a Silver Polish? Is the black lacing dominant?

Quote:

Are you into genetics? I was wondering what I'd get if I bred a Buff Polish to a Silver Polish? Is the black lacing dominant?

Yes I am
big_smile.png

There are three genes that cause white in chickens: silver, dominant white, and recessive white. Buff laced Polish have dominant white. Assuming the buff laced Polish is homozygous (has two copies of the gene) for dominant white and is the male in the cross, the males would be a dirty white with black flecks here and there and light gold in the sex feathering. The females would be buff laced.
If the buff laced polish was the female and the silver laced the male, the females would be white with a few black flecks and the males would be the same as the former cross.

Ryan

Back
Top Bottom