Brabanters and Spitzhaubens--The Differences PIC HEAVY!

Pics
Quote:
Are you into genetics? I was wondering what I'd get if I bred a Buff Polish to a Silver Polish? Is the black lacing dominant?

Yes I am
big_smile.png

There are three genes that cause white in chickens: silver, dominant white, and recessive white. Buff laced Polish have dominant white. Assuming the buff laced Polish is homozygous (has two copies of the gene) for dominant white and is the male in the cross, the males would be a dirty white with black flecks here and there and light gold in the sex feathering. The females would be buff laced.
If the buff laced polish was the female and the silver laced the male, the females would be white with a few black flecks and the males would be the same as the former cross.

Ryan

What do you mean by "dirty white"?

Quote:
I assumed the off spring would be Silver and Cream rather than gold. It was the sex linked part that was news to me.

Cream Brabanters are genetically gold with the cream gene(ig). Crossing a male Cream Brabanter with a Silver Spitzhauben female will result in gold females and silver/gold males. All would be carriers for cream.

And if I do it the other way around, with a Silver Spitz sire, and a cream Brabanter dam?

Quote:
Cream Brabanters are genetically gold with the cream gene(ig). Crossing a male Cream Brabanter with a Silver Spitzhauben female will result in gold females and silver/gold males. All would be carriers for cream.

And if I do it the other way around, with a Silver Spitz sire, and a cream Brabanter dam?

Silver females and gold/silver males. All carriers for cream.

Ryan

for mama hen
Don Here got my first Brabanter egg yesterday and it was fertile your blue should start laying any day but I don't think you have had her for 4 weeks yet have you?

Quote:
I think she has started.....I found a few really small eggs scattered about.....but I do have several about the right age. What does the 4 weeks have to do with it? Not that I can remember when we got her.
roll.png

The white roo got himself killed today, a hawk I think. He was going anyway, but I hate feeding the wildlife.
Bob's on vacation this week, so the fence gets finished....finally, and everyone separated. I still have a dozen or so Ameraucana roosters that will be leaving soon, if you wanted to add yours, I'll be calling Sal this week.

Last edited:
I thought incase you were going to try to hatch some chicks you might want to make sure the correct daddy is doing the job

Quote:
I haven't decided who the correct daddy is going to be yet. It's either going to be a Brabanter, a Silver Polish, or another half breed.
Meanwhile, she's dodging all the guys
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom