Brabanters and Spitzhaubens--The Differences PIC HEAVY!

Down south from Alaska is ... Montana? Maine? Oh, wait, you did say Dixie! Good luck with your new endeavor! I have Spitz and am bidding on Brabanter eggs as we "speak". are you moving your chickens, too?

All I have left is a clutch of mixed bantams I hatched out on Leap Day. They'll be going to new homes before I move, and I'll get a totally fresh start on the farm. :) It will be a working farm so I'm trying really, really hard to stay practical in my breed shopping...but I just love these crazy spotted poofy-headed birds.

I see Ideal is sold out until next year on both varieties of Brabanter. We did determine they are the only hatchery? Well...maybe Sand Hill, right? Anyone ever get birds from them? But, IF I attempted this, next spring would be better anyway.

Just out of curiosity....how many Brabanters do you all think I'd have to order from Ideal to get a couple of solid starter trios? 50? 100? Any thoughts as to which variety might be the better bet?

Beyond that, is there ANYONE in the US actually exhibiting Gold Brabanters from their own bloodlines right now? (And by that, I mean only to exclude folks that show birds directly from the hatchery.)
A hundred is better than 50!

There are no one that I know of that exhibit Gold Brabanters. I know in the FB and Appenzeller websites having some folks raising Brabanters

Harley is really into yogurt....

She got a bit of a sponge bath afterwards.
big_smile.png

a local feed store here has been getting the pullets from them once or twice a month, there's only one more coming in may hopefully its not cancelled. I bought 6 in march, but the tails seems really bad so far. Do they not feather in very fast? The tail feathers are fairly long but there are hardly any barbs on the whole vane. Maybe I can take a picture of it.

Delicate? Mine were never delicate. They were pretty hardy even I only lost one due to shipping because a bunch of white rock chicks stomped or laid on it.

Back
Top Bottom