Brabanters and Spitzhaubens--The Differences PIC HEAVY!

I am not a purist of breeds so I just have to say that it's nice to see that auction as it may spread the breed around so more. Showing and perfection is not why I like this breed, or any breed. No hard feelings for those of you seeking a textbook perfect bird though.

I am not a purist of breeds so I just have to say that it's nice to see that auction as it may spread the breed around so more. Showing and perfection is not why I like this breed, or any breed. No hard feelings for those of you seeking a textbook perfect bird though.
People have to start somewhere.

I have no plans on showing but I would like to breed toward the theoretical standard for the breed.

I did not see upright tails or foward facing crests on the ebay birds. It was good of the person to post picts of the parents though...

Blue ears on a Spitz anyone?

Hope it was not cross bred somewhere down the line.

Enjoy her!
I read somewhere that some people have crossed them with polish for the crests. I am the farthest thing from an expert but have not heard crossing with a silke.

She is the one that Carla helped me out with the vitamin deficiency - it worked quite well but I still call her Flopsy

I've been reading quite a bit of stuff about Lymphoid leukosis in Spitzhauben. Is this truly something to worry about? I'm picking up some adults this week and have a lot of other birds here at home. I *will ask the breeder about it but hopefully someone here will answer also. It's making me change my mind about them because I don't want to get my other birds sick. Some people say ALL Spitz have it, period.

I never had any birds sick from LLV, directly or indirectly, today.

If tests weren't so expensive, I would have mine all tested but no one was ever sick.

The only time I ever tested positive was ONE....she was from a well known breeder and the breeder was in denial about it the whole time about the existance of LLV.

At first, paranoia set in but after a while, with no birds being dead or dying from LLV, I relaxed a bit and realized it is a chance I take. Only the strongest will continue on. Carla has more information on LLV. From what she told me, incubate, hatching chicks separately from the other breeds with unknown LLV or non existant LLV flock. I think that is the only time it would infect the other chicks of a different breed.

Overall, just keep in mind if you are working with these Spitzhaubens. I am hoping one day we shall get rid of LLV with keeping the strongest and the weakest not ever produce or culled out. or a vaccination. It is not much differnt than MS/MG that is about 80 percent of our flock in the US having it.

Last edited:
I've been reading quite a bit of stuff about Lymphoid leukosis in Spitzhauben. Is this truly something to worry about? I'm picking up some adults this week and have a lot of other birds here at home. I *will ask the breeder about it but hopefully someone here will answer also. It's making me change my mind about them because I don't want to get my other birds sick. Some people say ALL Spitz have it, period.

I agree with Robin. LLV is not something that will spread through your flock like CRD. Spitz are carriers of the disease. Some may die at puberty. Others will live long healthy lives. Since it is transmitted through the egg, just don't hatch other birds with your Spitzhaubens.

LLV is no reason not to have these wonderful birds.

Back
Top Bottom