Brag about your birds! Chick pics!

I love turkens, your others are also adorable! Are they all bantams? I’m a bit worried about having a naked neck rooster and my bantam (hopefully) pullets, so we are building a second smaller coop to go at the other end of the run.
No, I have half and half, so I'm making another coop for the little ones. Some are serama mix and idk if I can keep seramas and silkies/polkies together, but we'll see

I think I got lucky with my two broody hens. They are very tolerant of each other and Star my silver Phoenix would probably adopt any age chick. Some pictures from last week. Star and her hatch outs plus two bantams I just put with her. All babies pictured here are a mix of Phoenix, Ameraucana, Orpington, and Spitzhauben. Pretty sure any lavenders are Orpington/Ameraucana as I only have the lavender Ameraucana rooster and lavender Orpington hens.

20230415_150833.jpg

Goldie and her bunch from two weeks before.

20230327_163028.jpg

My hatch babies in my make shift brooder.

20230417_201911.jpg

20230417_201921.jpg

20230418_061502.jpg

20230417_201944.jpg

20230417_201909.jpg

Snapchat-1707659127.jpg

My six ladies are soon 1 year old already. The white one is currently ill and I was very scared it was Marek's, but she has been walking around here now for the last hour so it seems like she is recovering from whatever was wrong.
They are all so sweet and love to sit on my lap to get cuddles 🥰
I also have a 11 week old rooster and he is also so calm and kind and I think he will be a great rooster. He is a mix between silkie and cream legbar, and I think he looks so funny 😅
Snapchat-1777688442.jpg

This is the chick with his mother.

Snapchat-2036065825.jpg

Loving all these sweet baby pics! I am a first time chicken owner and jumped right in there with 10 Rhode Island Reds. Three of them have names, but the rest of them we just call them "one of the seven". Fredrika and Georgina both had solid red heads and, although I could identify them from the other group, they were very difficult to tell apart from each other. They have since developed some distinct features (and personalities) that helps me identify which is which. And then I have my very big one--her first name was "Big Butt Bertha" but she has developed a very distinct dark, almost black, beak. So she's "Black Beak" now. She's still the biggest in the bunch. I've been studying them very closely, looking for "roosterish" signs, but I am thinking that I really do have 10 pullets (they were all supposed to be pullets, but with only a 90% accuracy on sexting, chances were actually fairly good that I'd end up with one rooster. But, so far they seem to be all girls). When this pic was taken (last week) they were a little over 7 weeks old. I am amazed at how quickly they have grown!
7WeeksOld.png

Loving all these sweet baby pics! I am a first time chicken owner and jumped right in there with 10 Rhode Island Reds. Three of them have names, but the rest of them we just call them "one of the seven". Fredrika and Georgina both had solid red heads and, although I could identify them from the other group, they were very difficult to tell apart from each other. They have since developed some distinct features (and personalities) that helps me identify which is which. And then I have my very big one--her first name was "Big Butt Bertha" but she has developed a very distinct dark, almost black, beak. So she's "Black Beak" now. She's still the biggest in the bunch. I've been studying them very closely, looking for "roosterish" signs, but I am thinking that I really do have 10 pullets (they were all supposed to be pullets, but with only a 90% accuracy on sexting, chances were actually fairly good that I'd end up with one rooster. But, so far they seem to be all girls). When this pic was taken (last week) they were a little over 7 weeks old. I am amazed at how quickly they have grown!View attachment 3473424
Awe one of our 9 week old RIRs is named Georgina! I call her Georgie. I’ve grown up my whole life with RIRs so they were the first three I got until I discovered the world of breeds through this site lol. Congrats on getting 100% pullets (most likely)!

View attachment 3473419

My six ladies are soon 1 year old already. The white one is currently ill and I was very scared it was Marek's, but she has been walking around here now for the last hour so it seems like she is recovering from whatever was wrong.
They are all so sweet and love to sit on my lap to get cuddles 🥰
I also have a 11 week old rooster and he is also so calm and kind and I think he will be a great rooster. He is a mix between silkie and cream legbar, and I think he looks so funny 😅
View attachment 3473422
This is the chick with his mother.

View attachment 3473418
I’m glad your white one is feeling better. And my goodness that is an ADORABLE little cockerel.

I think I got lucky with my two broody hens. They are very tolerant of each other and Star my silver Phoenix would probably adopt any age chick. Some pictures from last week. Star and her hatch outs plus two bantams I just put with her. All babies pictured here are a mix of Phoenix, Ameraucana, Orpington, and Spitzhauben. Pretty sure any lavenders are Orpington/Ameraucana as I only have the lavender Ameraucana rooster and lavender Orpington hens.

View attachment 3473385

Goldie and her bunch from two weeks before.

View attachment 3473391

My hatch babies in my make shift brooder.

View attachment 3473393
View attachment 3473394
View attachment 3473395
View attachment 3473396
View attachment 3473397
I love the proud mamas 😍 how many babies was that for her (Star)?

No, I have half and half, so I'm making another coop for the little ones. Some are serama mix and idk if I can keep seramas and silkies/polkies together, but we'll see
I don’t know anything about seramas, but is it just because sometimes other breeds aren’t nice to silkies and polish?

Awe one of our 9 week old RIRs is named Georgina! I call her Georgie. I’ve grown up my whole life with RIRs so they were the first three I got until I discovered the world of breeds through this site lol. Congrats on getting 100% pullets (most likely)!
Thank you! We call our Georgina "Georgie" too! And Fredrika is "Freddie" as well. They were our "red-headed twins." Georgie is a real sweetheart--she's our "cuddle-bunny." I do wish I could tell the other 7 apart so that I could give them all names. I spend a lot of time just looking at them, trying to find distinguishable features. The problem is that they are changing so fast! Even Freddie is starting to resemble "The Seven" so much that I sometimes have difficulty finding her amongst them. Not having had chickens before, I did a lot of searching and decided that RIRs was going to be the best fit to start with. But when it is time to replenish my flock, I'll probably mix it up a bit.

Back
Top Bottom