Bragging rights.... I have the best chickens in the world

lissalischicks

Crowing
8 Years
Jan 31, 2016
Los Angeles, California
Ok.... So I know that everyone has their favorites and to some point everyone thinks their own are the best but mine are truly the best or I just got darn lucky with chickens.

So my hen Mint hatched her first eggs just 2 days ago. I did not separate her and let her hatch in the coop in one of the nesting boxes. To my surprise she brought them out today and introduced the 5 little ones formally to the world. So here is where I have the best chickens come in..... I have 6 other hens. So I was quite worried about the possible pecking and massacre that could happen. Mint is #4 in the pecking order and she occasionally gets picked on by #2 and #3. So out comes the chicks.... I grab a broom really if necessary and nothing happens. #2 and #3 wander over look at them and just go about foraging around them. #3 actually takes an interest and starts trying to give them food! I was so proud! That when I decided I have the best chickens in the world!
20180525_134410.jpg
This is the little ones around the bigs ones! The black one is the mommy Mint. Lemon the buff orpington is #3

20180525_131645.jpg
Lemon looking after the chicks while mom takes a dust bath
20180525_132027.jpg
Lemon looking sad when Mint took the chicks away.

Having said all this I am aware I still needto be careful just in case but today was proud of them

Side note ..... can other non broody hens take an interest in chicks?

So that's me bragging about my girls. Anyone have any of their stories?

Yeah some will,I have a bigger flock so their relationships are not as tight as yours and most generally the hens take their chicks away,or fight.

@townchicks I don't know if leaving with them helped or not to be honest. I have read it goes both ways... either good or bad. Maybe it helped this time because I have introduced new chicks to the flock before and the other hens have been brutal with them. The only difference this time was these chicks were hatched by one of mine.

Back
Top Bottom