Brahma Bantam x Bantam Cochin which body type wins?

Annie Day

In the Brooder
Feb 1, 2024
I searched to see if anyone posted about Brahma Bantam X Cochin Bantam cross and didn't see any results. I'm curious for those that have crossed these - which body type do the chicks end up with? Cochin or Brahma? I'm new to this so sorry if this is a dumb question! šŸ¤—šŸ˜…

Body shape is polygenic, meaning it is controlled by a number of genes, so the offspring will have an intermediate of both body types.

Body shape is polygenic, meaning it is controlled by a number of genes, so the offspring will have an intermediate of both body types.
Ok thank You! Sounds like you know genetics- so how about the markings on a dark Brahma - will they pass those on to a certain color Cochin?

Ok- which color Cochin can it be passed on to?
Color is also polygenic. The offspring inherit half their genes from each parent. Some of these genes are more dominant than each other.
The only color of Cochin that crossed with a dark Brahma would have ā€œdarkā€ or rather silver pencilled offspring, would be silver pencilled.
With all other colors the offspring would be a color that is an intermediate between the parents colors.
Dark Brahmas (genetically silver pencilled) have these genes: partridge, pattern gene, and silver.
Partridge is recessive, pattern gene is dominant, and silver is sexlinked dominant. But it is not so simple. Partridge may be recessive but in the heterozygous state it still expresses to some degree. Pattern gene may be dominant but in its heterozygous state the pattern is incomplete. In the heterozygous state of silver, you get a yellowish color.

Color is also polygenic. The offspring inherit half their genes from each parent. Some of these genes are more dominant than each other.
The only color of Cochin that crossed with a dark Brahma would have ā€œdarkā€ or rather silver pencilled offspring, would be silver pencilled.
With all other colors the offspring would be a color that is an intermediate between the parents colors.
Dark Brahmas (genetically silver pencilled) have these genes: partridge, pattern gene, and silver.
Partridge is recessive, pattern gene is dominant, and silver is sexlinked dominant. But it is not so simple. Partridge may be recessive but in the heterozygous state it still expresses to some degree. Pattern gene may be dominant but in its heterozygous state the pattern is incomplete. In the heterozygous state of silver, you get a yellowish color.

Wow! Thank You for that info. I can tell I have a lot to learn! Chicken color genetics are a lot harder than goat color genetics that I'm used to. I appreciate your help!

Back
Top Bottom