Brahma Breeders thread

Pics
Not sure....I don't THINK so.
I wouldn't think so either. I think it works for lights, but not sure how it would relate to darks. There is probably some way to breed more color in, especially in the hens. Maybe select for the darker color rather than the steel gray in the hens? It seems like I see a wide range of penciling on the hens. Some are barely visible and some are very obvious. I'd be interested in hearing how the dark breeders keep the color strong. I think I'll have to play with the chicken calculator and see if I can't find it.

There is an excellent example of what is NOT to standard selling some hatching eggs on ebay right now.

I wouldn't think so either. I think it works for lights, but not sure how it would relate to darks. There is probably some way to breed more color in, especially in the hens. Maybe select for the darker color rather than the steel gray in the hens? It seems like I see a wide range of penciling on the hens. Some are barely visible and some are very obvious. I'd be interested in hearing how the dark breeders keep the color strong. I think I'll have to play with the chicken calculator and see if I can't find it.

There is an excellent example of what is NOT to standard selling some hatching eggs on ebay right now.

I'm sure John would give you pointers on breeding the Darks. I know many people double mate the silver penciled pattern.(male line, female line)

I would not even begin to guess. Good heads do "stand out" at hatch. I just don't have enough experience or confidence to cull a day old for head size. I think Bill Bowman used a fifty cent piece as a "gauge" for adult birds. IMHO it is better to let birds grow as long as you can, providing you have sufficient space. Over crowding can cause ALL kinds of problems. Some of the old time breeders raised showbirds for fifty plus years. I'm sure experience taught them what to look for at a very early age. I'm not there yet.

Tim

That's why Mark Peterson has some of the best large fowl light brahmas available. He is also a APA Hall of Fame Breeder...he is there and has the best. Only a earned 59 breeders make that special list.

We should really have a bantam thread....

bigz

Back
Top Bottom