Brahma Breeders thread

Pics
Also, about predators, any problems with weasels or rats? I think the only thing that might get into my coop would be something small like that, that could squeeze into small holes.
I have had problems with a mink (not with my brahmas-yet). We have a creek on our property that it lives near. Last year I lost all 10 of the call ducks that I showed. We have a bald eagle that lives near our property that took 2 of them when I let them out to free range.The mink comes at night though. We learned our lesson and made an indestructible coop (that my brahmas are currently in). We used thousands of staples to make sure all of the wire was secured on ALL sides of the coop. I suggest you do something similar, thoroughly inspect your coop and run to make sure there are no small holes, the predators are good at getting through tight spaces.

One of my latest pullets. I'm thinking she's wide enough.

Is the tail okay? It's sort of a U.

Papa

They both look like they narrow significantly to the rear. So that'd be a big point of emphasis going forward were it my program. They look like they have great width at the shoulder and heart girth area, they just need to carry it all the way back. The pattern looks very nice though.

Edit: Borrowed this picture from first page, but look how the width carries all the way back through the tail, then compare to the birds you posted. We don't have anything for scale so can't compare width to width, but you can see the rectangle vs the narrowing shape.

Last edited:
wee.gif
awww... that's my roo! I love when my birds get a compliment! Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside... kind of like when you eat a SNICKERS.....hehehe

I would echo Matt's thoughts on your birds. Very impressive, massive looking birds, they just look to narrow quite a bit in the tail.

BTW, I've been nothing but nice on this thread.......you can keep your stinking SNICKERS! LOL

Tim

Well, I guess I just need to make sure they never turn around - Thanks!

At least I seem to have gotten rid of the vulture hocks - two steps forward, one step backward.

Well, I guess I just need to make sure they never turn around - Thanks!

At least I seem to have gotten rid of the vulture hocks - two steps forward, one step backward.

When working with non-standard project colors, it's that, it's a project, and progress is a good thing. Each year you improve this or improve that, and then all of a sudden...BOOM! Ya got it!

Would the body shape come more from the male or female? In other words, in an ideal world, you would choose your widest back end birds of each sex and breed them, continuing to select for wideness in the back end and then hopefully fix the shape. But, if you didn't have wideness in both sexes, would one or the other parents be more likely to pass on its body type? I guess what I'm asking is if I was trying to correct this problem, would it be better to go out and purchase a good bodied cockerel or a good bodied hen?

Sjisty, you know more about genetics than I do, I know. How about using darks to improve type(tail)? You know about the silver/gold business.

Tim

Back
Top Bottom