Brahma Breeders thread

Pics
So, no vulture hocks there? I know I've looked at a lot of pictures of vulture hocks vs a "cleaner" leg, but I just can't decide if he's somewhere in between?

It's hard to tell. It looks to me like he has some soft vulture hocks. I know these pictures aren't that great, but you can see there's plenty of foot and leg feathering, but they don't have the vulture hocks. If you look at the cockerel in the rear, you can see his feathers above the hock don't hang down like your guy.

Notice the feathers sticking out from behind at the "knee" in the cockerel in the back. The front one has them, too, but they are softer and lay down instead of sticking out. Those are vulture hocks.

Now look at Rocky. He has more of a "pantaloons" look. No vulture hocks.

You're welcome. Believe me, I've had lots of experience with vulture hocks! My first birds came from Wales, where vulture hocks are the standard. I have been breeding for years now to try to keep the huge size but get rid of the VH.

Here is the definition from the SOP: "VULTURE HOCKS: A well defined formation of stiff, straight and rather long feathers growing from the lower part of the lower thighs and projecting backward and downward, a disqualification in all Asiatics including their bantam counterparts; a requirement in d'uccle, Booted, and Sultans."

From the "Bantam Standard", " VULTURE HOCKS: The stiff quill feathers growing in the thighs, extending backward, straight beyond the hocks."

The word STIFF is in both definitions FWIW. There are illustrations of VHs in both standards as well.

Tim

Last edited:
Soft vulture hocks is a term I learned from a judge years ago who disqualified one of my chickens. I guess it is a judgment call.

Absolutely, as are most judging calls. I have heard the term frequently as well. Just pointing out what the standards say specifically. Judges SELDOM know as much about our chosen breed as we, unless they breed them themselves. Not to you Sjisty, just a general statement for everyone: NEVER base your breeding program on ONE judge's OPINION.

I think I might have sounded rude on this and my last post. AGAIN....not my intention.
smile.png

Tim

Back
Top Bottom