Brahma Breeders thread

Pics
I'm a newbie and I have 2 Light Brahma girls that seem to be growing way too fast. Am I doing something wrong? I have them in a very large tote with their food, water and roost. As seen in the picture they appear to be much larger at 4 weeks than everyone else's I've seen on BYC. They have tripled in size in just the three weeks I've had them. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I'm a newbie and I have 2 Light Brahma girls that seem to be growing way too fast. Am I doing something wrong? I have them in a very large tote with their food, water and roost. As seen in the picture they appear to be much larger at 4 weeks than everyone else's I've seen on BYC. They have tripled in size in just the three weeks I've had them. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
most photos make the birds look small because they fit into the screen of a cell phone, to make your birds look bigger crop the photo so that the bird "sticks out" over the edge of the frame.

triple in size in four weeks sounds normal, they have just grown from a single cell to egg size in 21 days, a much greater rate of change.

Hi :) new to this thread. My flock is currently small 2 buff orpington's and 4 silkies. Looking to expand and love the brahma breed. Any breeders near pinellas/pasco/Hillsborough florida?

I just want to say that I am really enjoying this thread. I don't own any chickens yet but am doing my research in preparation for chicken ownership which I take very seriously. I actually breed tropical fish at the moment and only have the best of the best. Getting into chicken keeping I want the same standard of quality that I have for my fish, for my chickens as well. Hopefully we'll be moving into our new house soon and I can start building a coop! Once I'm ready for chicks where is the best place to buy them? Is there a breeder directory somewhere? I'd like Light Brahma more specifically.

I don't know of any serious breeders of QUALITY birds that sell chicks. VERY few sell hatching eggs. I would recommend going to an ABA/APA sanctioned show in your area this Fall. Meet breeders of quality Brahmas there. Most sell adult birds only. Buy a trio or a couple of pairs of the best birds you can afford. Hatch the eggs from those birds. IMHO the BEST way to get a good start in quality birds. Join the American Brahma Club, buy a "Standard".

Tim

Good advice tim i know jackie koetadich moved to florida i dont know where
She sold me a gorgeous started pair
They make every day bright

I don't know of any serious breeders of QUALITY birds that sell chicks. VERY few sell hatching eggs. I would recommend going to an ABA/APA sanctioned show in your area this Fall. Meet breeders of quality Brahmas there. Most sell adult birds only. Buy a trio or a couple of pairs of the best birds you can afford. Hatch the eggs from those birds. IMHO the BEST way to get a good start in quality birds. Join the American Brahma Club, buy a "Standard".

Tim

Thank you very, very much for the advice. I'm looking for some shows to go to in the fall. Seems like there are a couple in November so hopefully I can get some beautiful Brahmas then!
Good advice tim i know jackie koetadich moved to florida i dont know where
She sold me a gorgeous started pair
They make every day bright
A fellow CTer! Hopefully I can say the same soon. I've definitely fallen in love with these big beautiful birds :)

Last edited:
I finally managed to go through all the birds in my one back coop. I have about 83 chicks( mostly buffs...only 6 are lights
hmm.png
) of various ages in that coop. Out of one of the older groups I have one cockerel that really stood out to me. Excellent looking brow coming in on that bird. Should end up with a nice wide head. Really have been pushing for more width everywhere and it looks like I'm making progress. Plus this cockerel looks to have more width in the rest of his body than what I originally started with. Still too young to say for sure about his color, but it definitely looks like it's going to be up to showing standards. Most of the buffs have nice looking tails coming in. Which is another problem I really wanted to correct.

Today was my last hatch of the season. It was a small batch, only 3 light out of 4 eggs. That is only going to give me 22 light as compared to the 90 some buffs. I'm hoping that since the light brahma breeders started off at a much better quality that these chicks will have a higher yield of useable birds. Whether that be for showing or breeding. I'm going to take a couple of the light females that hatched this year and cross them to my buffs to further improve type even more. If I don't get enough decent typed females for that then I'll just use those females in one pen for part of the breeding season and then for the other part I'll switch them to the other pen.

Sounds great! Keep up the good work. I hatched way more buffs than lights this year too?? It happens....just go with it.

Tim

Sounds great! Keep up the good work. I hatched way more buffs than lights this year too?? It happens....just go with it.

Tim
I have Buffs coming out my ears this year, but am struggling to hatch Lights. I think I have 5 chicks using 2 cockerels over 3 hens. No fertility now though the eggs are still coming.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom