Brahma Breeders thread

Pics
I don't know what ya'll are feeding. I do know there is much less WASTE with pellets as opposed to mash or crumbles.

I use a mix if stuff, but a majority is all flock raiser pellets. I have no waste. Even the cracked corn I give them they clean up of it spills out etc. I am happy with my feed usage considering number and how much they should be consuming a week. It all works out mathematically.

I try not to dwell on my investment in feed, if I did I could probably convince myself I could put the same money toward more worthwhile hobbies like maybe day drinking and chain smoking. Would have to be way healthier for you than going out in all kinds of weather, hauling heavy water buckets, unloading tons of feed, shoveling out results of same, breathing all that dust and feather dander.

I try not to dwell on my investment in feed, if I did I could probably convince myself I could put the same money toward more worthwhile hobbies like maybe day drinking and chain smoking. Would have to be way healthier for you than going out in all kinds of weather, hauling heavy water buckets, unloading tons of feed, shoveling out results of same, breathing all that dust and feather dander.
We do not buy feed. We grow a fed things in our garden to mill for feed, grow some leafy greens hydroponicly, certain weeds, and greens in the greenhouse, and or birds forage all day. Plus we raise mealworms. We live near a fresh water stream and have to large waterers in the yard that we must refill every 4 days. In the really cool months we have solar heated waterers that get filled by a nearby hose. Chicken work is as hard and as expensive as you make it.

I try not to dwell on my investment in feed, if I did I could probably convince myself I could put the same money toward more worthwhile hobbies like maybe day drinking and chain smoking. Would have to be way healthier for you than going out in all kinds of weather, hauling heavy water buckets, unloading tons of feed, shoveling out results of same, breathing all that dust and feather dander.
LOL, isn't that so true. My hubby asks every now and then how much "his" eggs for breakfast are costing.....I usually tell him that he really doesn't want to know. Besides that, quite a bit of the year he can't even have the eggs because I'm hatching. Fortunately, I have enough birds now that when they all start laying he can have a few eggs every day even when I'm saving up to hatch.
barnie.gif

LOL, isn't that so true.  My hubby asks every now and then how much "his" eggs for breakfast are costing.....I usually tell him that he really doesn't want to know.  Besides that, quite a bit of the year he can't even have the eggs because I'm hatching.  Fortunately, I have enough birds now that when they all start laying he can have a few eggs every day even when I'm saving up to hatch.
:barnie
I am glad that you have enough birds to lay eggs year-round. My husband won't even let me have certain birds because all that we have must be cost effective and dual purpose. Maybe one day his heart will soften. All of our birds lay year-round and our meat birds are have enough meat in 2-3 months...light Brahmas. We do wait until most are completely grown to eat though, but are as large as the store birds early.

Back
Top Bottom