Brahma Breeders thread

Pics
Very interesting bumpercarr. I vill keep that in mind. I have decided to keep this chick because I think there is a lot I can learn from it, and as was stated if other attributes of this chick are good there is a chance she will be benificial.

How is/has everyone's hatching season?

I only have two buffs and five light chicks so far. I did hatch out four more lights from the same pen, but sold them to a lady/teacher in 4-H so she could bring them into her class. I have 22 eggs in the hatcher at the moment, ten lights and twelve buffs. 28 Eggs in the incubator with hopefully another 28 going into the other Friday. Little more behind than I'd like to be, but I'm just glad to have gotten birds this Spring and not having to wait until the Fall to replace everything.

I hatched out 14 dark/partridge crosses, then had two not so good hatches (none survived, power outage). I also got some partridge youngsters from Michigan and have some partridge chicks on the way. Also had a broody hatch one partridge, have another broody sitting on who knows how many eggs and a dark broody sitting on a few dark eggs. I never count much on the broodies...mine have a tendency to kick the eggs out when they start to pip.

Bottom line, 25 in the grow out pen right now. Incubator is put away until probably August when I'll see if I want to hatch some more.

What do you mean? Twenty one days just like all other chicken breeds. Or 12-24 hours from pip to exit. I don't think I understand the question...

mine are hatching 24-48 hours later than my australorps. I am asking if the standard 21 days is also consistent with this breed and my strain is slower by about 36 hours.

mine are hatching 24-48 hours later than my australorps. I am asking if the standard 21 days is also consistent with this breed and my strain is slower by about 36 hours.
Generally speaking, they should be consistent with your australorps. I have noticed that when using an incubator that is Styrofoam and has less consistency with humidity that they frequently fall behind the 21 day mark. I don't know if that answers your question. Once I went to an incubator with humidity control, I found that they hatched at day 21 or earlier...some a day later but for the most part the hatch was right on schedule. If your eggs are shipped, there is always an issue with hatching, whether it is early or late, low hatch rates, shrink wrapped chicks, etc...shipped eggs are just a challenge regardless of your equipment (although a little more successful if your equipment is good).

Hope that helps.

Generally speaking, they should be consistent with your australorps. I have noticed that when using an incubator that is Styrofoam and has less consistency with humidity that they frequently fall behind the 21 day mark. I don't know if that answers your question. Once I went to an incubator with humidity control, I found that they hatched at day 21 or earlier...some a day later but for the most part the hatch was right on schedule. If your eggs are shipped, there is always an issue with hatching, whether it is early or late, low hatch rates, shrink wrapped chicks, etc...shipped eggs are just a challenge regardless of your equipment (although a little more successful if your equipment is good).

Hope that helps.

that does help, I will work on the humidity.
What are the two humidity levels that you strive to achieve (before day 18 and after day 18)?

Back
Top Bottom