Brahma Breeders thread

Pics
that does help, I will work on the humidity.
What are the two humidity levels that you strive to achieve (before day 18 and after day 18)?
I keep mine at 60% prior to day 18 and 65% for lock down, but I am at altitude and have found that anything lower than that causes significant losses around day 16-18 and really late hatches for those that do survive. I think you can probably google the recommendations and find them that way.

I keep mine at 60% prior to day 18 and 65% for lock down, but I am at altitude and have found that anything lower than that causes significant losses around day 16-18 and really late hatches for those that do survive. I think you can probably google the recommendations and find them that way.

with your experience of too low humidity in the first 18 days causing late hatches I will increase my humidity level next year hatching season.
thanks for your help
John

mine are hatching 24-48 hours later than my australorps. I am asking if the standard 21 days is also consistent with this breed and my strain is slower by about 36 hours.

Who's line do you have ?
Maybe your temp needed to be raised like half a degree. My first two batches hatched mainly a day late until I upped the temp a little. I had most hatch a day early and on time for the last batch, now that the temp is up..

Last edited:
Who's line do you have ?
Maybe your temp needed to be raised like half a degree. My first two batches hatched mainly a day late until I upped the temp a little. I had most hatch a day early and on time for the last batch, now that the temp is up..

I purchased two K and one P from Dave Burchett to start my attempts at raising them. The Australorps came from Duane Urch.
The problems I am having are many. Seems like I take steps back as I try to correct my "chicken" mistakes, other problems are from my ignorance as a "brahma" specific breeder that I have not yet been able to identify, like what appears to be thicker or double membrane of the breed's egg.
all this takes years as I now have "enough" chickens and will have to wait until next year for my learning to continue.
Low temperature was one of my problems in 2014, when I hatch 10 australorp to one brahma in 2015, I began to look for other causes.

Looking for a buff brahma chick, pullet or hen. I'm brand new to this. Any help? Jackson Tn quote name="NestingHillsSC" url="/t/873000/brahma-breeders-thread/750#post_15321062"] Hatched 27 of these little buffs already. Still have 25 more in the bator. Then it will be pick and chose time. [/quote]

Looking for a buff brahma chick, pullet or hen. I'm brand new to this. Any help?
Jackson Tn
quote name="NestingHillsSC" url="/t/873000/brahma-breeders-thread/750#post_15321062"]

Hatched 27 of these little buffs already. Still have 25 more in the bator. Then it will be pick and chose time.
[/QUOTE]
I think that Rich Snyder is breeding buffs....assuming you are talking about large fowl.

Yes large. I don't know how to find Mr Snyder. I can barely figure out how to post on here ! How do I find him? quote name="NestingHillsSC" url="/t/873000/brahma-breeders-thread/750#post_15321062"] Hatched 27 of these little buffs already. Still have 25 more in the bator. Then it will be pick and chose time. [/quote]

I doubt it's a line issue because I have a bunch of buffs from the same line and most of my chicks from last Friday started hatching early or on time. Maybe it's just your specific birds are too related??? I would try adding another buff from somewhere else. Rich Snyder that was just mentioned above has Dave's line too. Might want to get in contact with him since his birds are the same line.
I purchased two K and one P from Dave Burchett to start my attempts at raising them. The Australorps came from Duane Urch.
The problems I am having are many. Seems like I take steps back as I try to correct my "chicken" mistakes, other problems are from my ignorance as a "brahma" specific breeder that I have not yet been able to identify, like what appears to be thicker or double membrane of the breed's egg.
all this takes years as I now have "enough" chickens and will have to wait until next year for my learning to continue.
Low temperature was one of my problems in 2014, when I hatch 10 australorp to one brahma in 2015, I began to look for other causes.

Last edited:
I doubt it's a line issue because I have a bunch of buffs from the same line and most of my chicks from last Friday started hatching early or on time. Maybe it's just your specific birds are too related??? I would try adding another buff from somewhere else. Rich Snyder that was just mentioned above has Dave's line too. Might want to get in contact with him since his birds are the same line.

thanks, too related is a problem I need to address

Back
Top Bottom