Brahma Breeders thread

Pics
James Colson (listed in the breeder directory) is near enough for me to drive, did you (or anyone else) see his birds in Ohio last fall?

What are the opinions of those on this thread with crossing Mr. Colson's birds with the ones that I have from Mr. Burchett.
I don't know anything about his chickens. If he's close enough, I'd call him and see if I could come out and look at his birds. Also check to see if he has availability....it is getting to the end of the spring breeding season for most of us.

th.gif
All Ohio shows/swaps/fairs for poultry are cancelled! That kind of ruined my day...

I know, hard to imagine fall without a Ohio National.
I was trying to think of how I was going to explain another trip to Ohio in November. Looks like Pennsylvania has done the same thing? I wonder what this does to the American Brahma Club national. Maybe we need to choose a different location. I'm thinking Shawnee OK would work for me!

I was trying to think of how I was going to explain another trip to Ohio in November. Looks like Pennsylvania has done the same thing? I wonder what this does to the American Brahma Club national. Maybe we need to choose a different location. I'm thinking Shawnee OK would work for me!

I suspect this won't be the last of this kind of thing, may be hard to find a poultry show before this is all over.

I suspect this won't be the last of this kind of thing, may be hard to find a poultry show before this is all over.
I am so afraid that you are correct. I suspect that next will come the states that won't allow any out of state exhibitors, that is if they don't cancel all of the poultry shows. Honestly, I understand why they feel the need for caution...I'm trying to digest all of this as it is myself. If I take a bird somewhere in the Mississippi flyway, will they be in danger of bringing HPAI H5 home to the rest of my flock? It is all very worrying, but I think that this may be what keeps me home this year...I'm also not sure that I have anything worth showing yet so maybe this is God's providence.

I don't in any way blame the states for cancelling shows, swaps and even sales. They need to do what they need to do to ensure that the virus is contained. I do feel for those that are depending on their chicken income to supplement the feeding of their families or to support their chicken hobby though. There are some folks that this news (not just Ohio, but all of the other states combined) will serious hurt their ability to continue to breed and show.

I think PA ended up cancelling their's and so didn't Michigan. I think there are a few more too. I decided that I'll just go ahead and implement a closed flock for this year. Would rather not lose all my birds again.

My biggest concern with all this is my ability to sell birds. Anyone who is NPIP can still ship, but I feel like a lot off people would be too afraid to buy. I'll still try and see what happens. With sone off my better sale birds, I think I'll keep some from this year to sell next year.

Thinking this year I may end up with a little extra chicken in the freezer.

Last edited:

the 3 babies on the right are my Brahma/silkie crosses-they have the silkie color but brahma feathers and temperament

Here is a close up of the blue one!

Back
Top Bottom