Brahma Breeders thread

Pics
Ugh, my hatcher decided to sky rocket up to nearly 106 degrees last night! I hurried up and cranked the temperature down and am hoping for the best. Thankfully my spot check thermometer said the temp by the eggs was about 103. Crossing my fingers they hatch
fl.gif
. The bright side is that I only have eleven in this hatch and one is possibly already dead.

Ended up with four out of eleven. Two more started, but never actually hatched. Found it interesting that all six of the eggs from one pen didn't hatch and that the other two pens I had 2/2 and 2/3. Still not great, but better than 0/6. I'm wondering if they are a little on the too inbred side, since if I ever have issues it seems to be mainly from that pen. Usually it's just a few don't hatch or start and die, yet the other pens just seem to have less issues. Next year I'll mix it up the genes a smidge.

x2, here, most breeders want brahmas that are good enough for show, not cross breeds
I like cross-breds. And I don't do show, so it doesn't bother me, I breed purebreds too, but mine are just pets so I only breed for pets. And I threw these crossbred eggs in the incubator out of curiosity-no one else seemed to have done it before so I decided to give it a whirl, and I think they are precious.

Back
Top Bottom