Brahma Breeders thread

Pics
Thank you!
I was so happy to find any standard Brahmas, which are pretty rare around these parts. I would very much love to try the darks, as that is my favorite pattern/colour by far, but you have to start somewhere...
Have a great night, and thanks for your reply.

Thank you!
I was so happy to find any standard Brahmas, which are pretty rare around these parts. I would very much love to try the darks, as that is my favorite pattern/colour by far, but you have to start somewhere...
Have a great night, and thanks for your reply.
I can help with answers if you want someone to be honest and give you the facts without Sugar coating. Don

I can help with answers if you want someone to be honest and give you the facts without Sugar coating. Don
Be totally honest Don-I can take it.
smile.png

I'm not planning to exhibit them, but that doesn't mean I don't want them to be as close to SOP as possible. They are meant to be dual purpose so the culls are useful as well. I already LOVE this breed so I can't see myself going without them ever again. That will probably mean finding some better stock in future. Right now I can't "see" what they will look like grown- tail carriage, topline, etc- they are young and this breed is pretty new to me. I can see the defective colours/smutty feathers and what I think are the beginning of nice heads on some- but they may be totally garbage- I truly don't know.
So, give it to me straight, and thank you very much for your help!

Quote: Will try and be as kind as I can.

As you have stated these are mostly Hatchery Brahma

Notice the black feathers coming out from the Cape, this is a very serious defect.

The Tails are pinched and should be Real open to get some decent Brahma.

They all have basically very small heads. This is something that would take a lifetime to correct.

If you breed any of these together the offspring will be worse that the adults. Never inbreed Fowl with as many defects as these have.

Would suggest that you try and locate some Brahma that are more to the SOP. One of my neighbors spent several year improving the Large Buff from Harold Miller and has since got out of Poultry. Don

I would also like to ad that you might want to get a copy of the APA or ABA standard of perfection and study the Columbian Color pattern.If you have questions about the color ask and I am sure I can answer you questions. Don

My SIX pullets I ended up with from shipped eggs this spring.. They are going on around 8 weeks old now. I'm so excited over them, they are FAR better than my old flock of partridge, which I have thinned down to my best-patterned blue hen and my current cock.

Anyway can't wait for them to mature so I can see what you guys think of them. I have four cockerels also but can't get a good shot of them because they won't get AWAY from me! :gig

Last edited:
I am overly excited!!! I have just added 23 Dark Brahma eggs to the incubator. I have never had this breed before and doesn't seem like anyone in my area has these either. Hoping for a great hatch :)

Back
Top Bottom