Brahma Breeders thread

Pics
Ok I'm going to TSC tomorrow and will pick them some up. I'm also going to get them some of the black oil sunflower seeds. I want them fat and happy lol. I want them to be fat and happy lol. On the flock raiser. I don't have a mix of fowl, just them. I have tried to convince my hubby we needed a couple duck, but he said no lol. My chickies are being goofy today because of this weather. I thought you couldn't give them oyster shell until they layed they're first egg? I'll go ahead and pick some up also. I'm trying to make sure I keep them healthy. I'm going to build them a lean to up by my porch for a second covered area for them. I check their feet after every rain and I've never seen any mud balls in their feathers. They don't like me picking them up but I still do. Should I clip a couple feathers on their wings, or just leave it? They do fly up to the top of my 6ft fence at night. It's besides my shed and compost heap so they're leaving their droppings in the right place lol. They you again for the info. I am really liking this breed. I've been thinking about adding some Naked Necks to my flock but I will have to build a bigger coop. I'll probably just let mine hatch a brood, or something.

Ok I'm going to TSC tomorrow and will pick them some up. I'm also going to get them some of the black oil sunflower seeds. I want them fat and happy lol. I want them to be fat and happy lol. On the flock raiser. I don't have a mix of fowl, just them. I have tried to convince my hubby we needed a couple duck, but he said no lol. My chickies are being goofy today because of this weather. I thought you couldn't give them oyster shell until they layed they're first egg? I'll go ahead and pick some up also. I'm trying to make sure I keep them healthy. I'm going to build them a lean to up by my porch for a second covered area for them. I check their feet after every rain and I've never seen any mud balls in their feathers. They don't like me picking them up but I still do. Should I clip a couple feathers on their wings, or just leave it? They do fly up to the top of my 6ft fence at night. It's besides my shed and compost heap so they're leaving their droppings in the right place lol. They you again for the info. I am really liking this breed. I've been thinking about adding some Naked Necks to my flock but I will have to build a bigger coop. I'll probably just let mine hatch a brood, or something.
I don't clip mine's wings. When they get a little bigger, they can't fly anymore. I just try to make sure that they don't escape for the few weeks that they are able to fly over the fence....most of the time they are just looking to get up high and it only lasts about 3-4 weeks.

TSC only has one bag of feather fixer left, hopefully Hughes will get some this week. The oyster shell is free choice, they will pick some up if they want it, I don't mix it in the feed, it is in it's own container.

Anyone else trying their hand at some non standard colors? I have Gold Laced, BBS, Blue Partridge & am starting a project pen of (hopefully) Blue Laced Red. I would really love some Silver Laced & Buff Laced, but can't seem to find a good breeder. Maybe I will just have to make them myself. :)

I'm interested in blue or BLR .

Ok so I can put it out like the grit. I would like to try my hand at getting some different colors going besides my darks. Might try the buffs, or lights maybe. I'm a purist on some things lol. I am definitely keeping Zuma my dark chickie roo through. He's gentle with the girls, and with my boys. I have been thinking about adding some other breeds but I don't think I will. I just can't bring myself to mix my Brahmas with another breed. Although I still really like the Naked Necks. To me they're just cool looking. I don't think mine would have a problem letting others into the flock. They just seem really laid back about everything.

Ok so I can put it out like the grit. I would like to try my hand at getting some different colors going besides my darks. Might try the buffs, or lights maybe. I'm a purist on some things lol. I am definitely keeping Zuma my dark chickie roo through. He's gentle with the girls, and with my boys. I have been thinking about adding some other breeds but I don't think I will. I just can't bring myself to mix my Brahmas with another breed. Although I still really like the Naked Necks. To me they're just cool looking. I don't think mine would have a problem letting others into the flock. They just seem really laid back about everything.
I used to have a mixed flock, then I went strictly Brahmas. I find that the brahma males are too big for any of the other breed females...generally speaking that is.

I might just get some buffs, and lights then lol. Mine look huge until you get your hands on them and they're all feathers lmbo. I'm watching them for spur development. I would prefer not to have spurs. I know they help in defense but spurs hurt if they get you lol. My husband likes our brahmas, and he also likes the look of the naked necks. He's weird like I am. Oh I know one thing you and I can do is trade a chicken or 2 every now and then to keep both our flocks strong. Do you have the other 2 colors or just darks? I am excited about having someone around that knows the breed and their health requirements. I need to clean out my coop and replace all the shavings.

I might just get some buffs, and lights then lol. Mine look huge until you get your hands on them and they're all feathers lmbo. I'm watching them for spur development. I would prefer not to have spurs. I know they help in defense but spurs hurt if they get you lol. My husband likes our brahmas, and he also likes the look of the naked necks. He's weird like I am. Oh I know one thing you and I can do is trade a chicken or 2 every now and then to keep both our flocks strong. Do you have the other 2 colors or just darks? I am excited about having someone around that knows the breed and their health requirements. I need to clean out my coop and replace all the shavings.
I have darks and partridge. The lights and buffs are Columbian patterned, so interbreeding them will bring up some unusual patterns. For that reason, I've just stuck with the penciled varieties.

I've never had a brahma use its spurs on me....if they did, they would be in the next dinner pot. I've never even seen them use them on other males. All males will develop spurs, there are some breeds where spurs should be removed. If you are really interested in doing that, you can find some instructions on how to do it. Keep in mind, in our area of the world, cock fighting has been a big influence. Anyone who is telling you that you need to get rid of the spurs is likely thinking of game cocks....now those guys will spur you if you ever go after them or one of their girls. But, brahmas won't (or at least shouldn't).

The worst that a brahma cock has ever done to me, when I was after one of his ladies, is to charge at me to scare me into letting them go. They haven't even touched me.....so, bottom line, I wouldn't worry about the spurs at all.

The one thing that I worry a little bit about is the size of your flock. With 2 pullets and 3 cockerels, your pullets are going to suffer. You might want to see if you can get another 3 or 4 pullets and then get rid of two of the cockerels before they reach breeding age. I probably have a few pullets that you could have....have to wait until after this weekend to see what I've got. I'll send you a pm.

I would love to get more. I have to go slow and show my hubby that I will take care of them. I told him I would not go crazy in the first year lol. He agreed that if everyone was still alive and not neglected then I could get more. I'll talk to him and see if he'll let me get more sooner. I've been working hard on keeping mine going well even without a good source of info. Now I have your brain to pick about them lol. I'll give you a call tomorrow. I think these chickies are the easiest "pets" I've had. That's including cats lol.

Does anyone have any Blue Partridge Brahma pullets they want to sell? I am looking for a couple & would like them at POL or close to it. I have tried looking on the for sale forums with no luck. If you have what I'm looking for, please PM me. TIA

Back
Top Bottom