Brahma Breeders thread

Pics
An excellent point! These chickens are about 16 weeks old. Here is a picture that I took this morning:

I realize that Brahmas develop a bit more slowly, but since this is my first time owning some, I was not sure how slowly.

Thanks for your input!
Cheers,
Lori

Do you know when brahama rooster crow ? 8 month ?

I'm sorry. I honestly don't know. These are my first two Brahmas. I can tell you that mine are 4 months and the one pictured above is making a deep vocalization in his chest that sounds to me like a "warm-up" crow.

I too am wondering when their leg feathers fully develop. I don't feel like the feathering on mine is as it should be.

Cheers,
Lori

Mine started crowing about 4 1/2 months old. They sound funny as can be when they first learned to crow. Even at 5 months they still sound funny. Well the one boy that started sounds funny. The other 2 haven't started.

Lavender is a double dilution of black, it takes two copies to show. It dilutes both black and reds. Like big medicine said, its can be difficult to tell light blue vs lavender, so its best to breed back to black for feather quality and improving type. I've heard that the lavender gene can cause feather quality problems after a couple of generations, so you breed back to black to improve that. I think the reasoning is that the lavender gene is close to some feather quality genes on the chromosome so when they split, they usually end up together.
Lavender will breed true. And its sometime possible to tell the difference with blue vs lavender with the underside of the spine of feathers, one is a darker spine and the other isnt, but im not sure on specifics there, I dont have either color.

The way I understand it, the real confusion takes place when you have a bird that that may be carrying both lavender and blue. Then throw in a two copy (blue) splash to make it interesting.

An excellent point! These chickens are about 16 weeks old. Here is a picture that I took this morning:

I realize that Brahmas develop a bit more slowly, but since this is my first time owning some, I was not sure how slowly.

Thanks for your input!
Cheers,
Lori

Look female to me.

Time of year can play a big part on when a pullet will first lay. A later hatched pullet coming to maturity as the length of daylight is declining may likely first lay at a later age than a early hatched pullet. This can also affect when a cockerel first crows to some extent, also having a mature cock in the flock sometimes will retard a youngsters early attempts to crow, depending on the old boys sense of humor.

Finished adult size at maturity will also affect these things. Smaller hatchery stock will usually mature much sooner than the considerably larger show type stock.

Last edited:
I'm sorry. I honestly don't know. These are my first two Brahmas. I can tell you that mine are 4 months and the one pictured above is making a deep vocalization in his chest that sounds to me like a "warm-up" crow.

I too am wondering when their leg feathers fully develop. I don't feel like the feathering on mine is as it should be.

Cheers,
Lori

Mine started crowing about 4 1/2 months old. They sound funny as can be when they first learned to crow. Even at 5 months they still sound funny. Well the one boy that started sounds funny. The other 2 haven't started.

My rooster six month , but still not crow

Mine start crowing usually at around 6-7 months. But, mine are also with an older cock bird, so some of them don't crow at all. He doesn't seem to mind if they do, but I think their hormones or something tells them not to push his buttons too much.

My Zuma is the only one that crows between my 3 boys. The other 2 don't dare right now I think. They look like they want to but like Bunker carry said don't want to push Zuma's buttons lol. Mine are the same age. So Mr. Meant occasionally tries to take over but Zuma is the biggest and just stares him down. Little Bit isn't much smaller than the other 2 but he isn't interested in the whole dominance game. I think my biggest girl Madea would be more likely to take over the dominant role if she wanted lol.

Back
Top Bottom