Brahma Breeders thread

Pics
Big Medicine got to this before I could respond. :) I said "Pyles" because that is what they are commonly called overseas and the Lemon "Pyles/Splash" variety still seems to be uncommon here in the US.

My profile pic is one of my girls as a pullet and there are others in my photos. I think I reference them in my photos as Lemon "Chiffons" - that's what I call my own flock.
Yes, this is what i know as a "pyle" or "splash"....Tomato/tomato imho....I am no expert like BM though...I don't claim to be.....:)

Last edited:
For the folks with "pyles", humor me here.

How would you describe, or what color would you call your birds if the parts of your birds pattern that are "white" was black instead ?

I went with "white" because a true pyle has dominant white, while the vast majority of what they call "pyle" in European Brahmas are actually two copy blue/splash.
To answer your question, if the white was black in a "pyle"...I have no idea what color it would be called...a project color?? lol I would say Gold Laced but they really wouldn't be that color either I don't think....Splash I guess....

Last edited:
For the folks with "pyles", humor me here.

How would you describe, or what color would you call your birds if the parts of your birds pattern that are "white" was black instead ?

I went with "white" because a true pyle has dominant white, while the vast majority of what they call "pyle" in European Brahmas are actually two copy blue/splash.
I found this on a popular uk website BM, this really cleared things up for us when we started on brahmas. Basically, what is known as Lemon Pyle/Red Pyle Brahmas are not, in fact, pyles at all. They are a splash.

"In Brahmas in the UK, the following notation applies:-

Gold Brahmas are eb/eb, s+/s+, Pg/Pg, bl+/bl+.
Blue Partridge Brahmas are as Golds except for being Bl/bl+.
Red Pyle Brahmas are as for Golds except for being Bl/Bl.

In other words the dominant white gene which is the key to creating pyle (pile) in Leghorns or Wyandottes is absent from Brahmas. Red Pyle Brahmas are created by taking the Gold genotype and splashising it.
(Similarly Lemon Pyle Brahmas are Splashised Buffs). "

Val

I found this on a popular uk website BM, this really cleared things up for us when we started on brahmas. Basically, what is known as Lemon Pyle/Red Pyle Brahmas are not, in fact, pyles at all. They are a splash.

"In Brahmas in the UK, the following notation applies:-

Gold Brahmas are eb/eb, s+/s+, Pg/Pg, bl+/bl+.
Blue Partridge Brahmas are as Golds except for being Bl/bl+.
Red Pyle Brahmas are as for Golds except for being Bl/Bl.

In other words the dominant white gene which is the key to creating pyle (pile) in Leghorns or Wyandottes is absent from Brahmas. Red Pyle Brahmas are created by taking the Gold genotype and splashising it.
(Similarly Lemon Pyle Brahmas are Splashised Buffs). "

Val

Ok, following that train of thought. What would you classify these as ?

Last edited:
They definitely look like a red splash but the actual classification would depend on how you got them? If they :)were a partridge based brahma, then they would be classed as a red splash. Mind you, I'm no expert at all, just going on what we've learned so far from other breeders here in the UK. I actually think I can learn far more from you than you'll learn from me ;)

Val

Back
Top Bottom