Brahma Breeders thread

The more I research the more I'm realizing I prefer pure lines rather than mixed lines. I am preferring the real look of the Brahmas than the looks of mixes like the one on that Facebook post. Yes someone put in some major time money and energy to make them but they don't look right to me.

The more I research the more I'm realizing I prefer pure lines rather than mixed lines. I am preferring the real look of the Brahmas than the looks of mixes like the one on that Facebook post. Yes someone put in some major time money and energy to make them but they don't look right to me.

Im with you, the characteristics of the pure standard large fowl brahma are what most of us breed for. The only departure is that many of us want to eventually see more color and pattern options beyond the standard Light Brahma, Dark Brahma and Buff Brahmas that are the only colors and paterns sanctioned at this time.

I can understand wanting better patterns and a diverse color range but changing the looks completely is a different thing. I like the looks of all 3 colors that are allowed in the sop. I might want to work on making my darks a little lighter but not white like the lights. I don't want to change their looks though. Just lighten the black up to a grey so they blend in to the surroundings around here. I just don't understand changing the body and feather features. Brahmas don't need poof on their heads, or beards. I don't know how to describe what I'm thinking about the pics. Give me a a real Brahma. Not a mutt. I'm not going to pay a lot of money for a mutt. I will be more willing to pay better for a purebred.

I have a question guys. I just calculated my chickens age. My now 4 oldest are 7 1/2 months old. When should I start expecting eggs? I just lost 1 of my pullets last night. I didn't see any obvious signs of injury on her. So I'm down to 3 pullets, and 3 cockerels. My 2 younger pullets are about 6 1/2 months old. I know they've had plenty of feed, water, and clean coop. I think it was another stress situation. I have just put my best looking cockerel in with the girls a week ago. I'm going to get a larger shed for them on the 1st and sort of confine the other 2 cockerels. I just haven't seen any signs of the oldest pullet being ready to lay, or the other 2 besides their faces going salmon color. I'm putting the egg boxes in today so they can get used to them and lay their eggs in them, and I can't wait for the first egg to get here. So does anyone have any idea when I can expect some eggs?

Im with you, the characteristics of the pure standard large fowl brahma are what most of us breed for. The only departure is that many of us want to eventually see more color and pattern options beyond the standard Light Brahma, Dark Brahma and Buff Brahmas that are the only colors and paterns sanctioned at this time.

I can understand wanting better patterns and a diverse color range but changing the looks completely is a different thing. I like the looks of all 3 colors that are allowed in the sop. I might want to work on making my darks a little lighter but not white like the lights. I don't want to change their looks though. Just lighten the black up to a grey so they blend in to the surroundings around here. I just don't understand changing the body and feather features. Brahmas don't need poof on their heads, or beards. I don't know how to describe what I'm thinking about the pics. Give me a a real Brahma. Not a mutt. I'm not going to pay a lot of money for a mutt. I will be more willing to pay better for a purebred.

Turkish call Crested Brahma , but i think they are feather Sultan - crest look like sultan

I have a question guys. I just calculated my chickens age. My now 4 oldest are 7 1/2 months old. When should I start expecting eggs? I just lost 1 of my pullets last night. I didn't see any obvious signs of injury on her. So I'm down to 3 pullets, and 3 cockerels. My 2 younger pullets are about 6 1/2 months old. I know they've had plenty of feed, water, and clean coop. I think it was another stress situation. I have just put my best looking cockerel in with the girls a week ago. I'm going to get a larger shed for them on the 1st and sort of confine the other 2 cockerels. I just haven't seen any signs of the oldest pullet being ready to lay, or the other 2 besides their faces going salmon color. I'm putting the egg boxes in today so they can get used to them and lay their eggs in them, and I can't wait for the first egg to get here. So does anyone have any idea when I can expect some eggs?

I don't expect eggs from mine until next March, 11 months old

For anyone who bred their birds this spring...Any promising birds popping up? I've got a few lights and buffs that don't look too bad. All of mine are on the young side since I got a late start. Tails are starting to come in on some of the buffs which will give me a better idea on who to keep.

My oldest pullet will be a year March 16th. I bought her and the other ones I got March 20th from our TSC. My younger 2 pullets I got from Bumpercarr and thinks they're about a month younger. So it would be February March time frame. Ugh I am starting to get the jitters waiting lol. But I can't rush nature no matter how much I want to. I did get the egg boxes put in yesterday. I got 2 18 gallon bins from Lowe's and cut a hole in 1 side of each. They'll have plenty of room to get in them and be comfortable. I just put aspen shavings in for nest material. Hopefully this works for them. If not it's back to the drawing board. It will be easy for me to get the eggs if it works, and easy to keep clean.

My oldest pullet will be a year March 16th. I bought her and the other ones I got March 20th from our TSC. My younger 2 pullets I got from Bumpercarr and thinks they're about a month younger. So it would be February March time frame. Ugh I am starting to get the jitters waiting lol. But I can't rush nature no matter how much I want to. I did get the egg boxes put in yesterday. I got 2 18 gallon bins from Lowe's and cut a hole in 1 side of each. They'll have plenty of room to get in them and be comfortable. I just put aspen shavings in for nest material. Hopefully this works for them. If not it's back to the drawing board. It will be easy for me to get the eggs if it works, and easy to keep clean.

your TSC pullet should/could lay any month, the other two might be spring as the days get longer. comb color is what I use to determine "old enough"

Back
Top Bottom