Brahma Breeders thread

Nice looking breeding stock.  You should hatch some pretty good birds in the Spring.

Thank you. I really like them. I have 6 eggs in my incubator right now. I had to scrap the first 4 I had put in thanks to my 2 yr old turning the temp way up without me knowing while getting him some clothes laid out for the day. I'm on day 2 right now.

@DesertBrahma

What other colors of brahmas do you have? I am really wanting some brahmas (preferably hatching eggs). Do you sell eggs?

I don't sell eggs sorry. This flock is for me and my family to eat, and get eggs for eating. I wouldn't even know how to ship eggs. They're just starting to lay after being moved from their breeders/hatchers home to mine, and establishing a flock. Let's see aall the colors I have are partridge, blue, gold, dark, and 1 dark that is a possible lavender gene. I can tell you they are great destroyers of compost heaps, eat a ton, and crap just as much. They love black oil sunflower seeds, mealworms, and some scratch. They're so gentle my boys who are 2 yrs and 4 yrs can go out with them and I'm not scared of them attacking my babies. They hate mice. 1 got in the coop, and I found it dead the next morning. They're just all around great chickens except they are very slow growing. Google the Brahma Poultry Breeders Association (I believe it's called. My Partridge Cockerel was from the president of that club) and they have breeders that sell chicks, eggs, and started. I looked into them before I found this site, and that there was someone in my area that had them. All except 1 of mine are from her. The odd girl out is a hatchery girl.

Would you call this a Blue Columbian or just Blue Brahma?

In this photo I would call the two white females blue columbians. The red birds are mostly columbian patterned, a splash version of blue on red.

These gals, a blue on red columbian in front, and more of a buff in back.

To call it just a blue would not be accurate either. To my minds eye blue would bring a image off a solid one color bird such as a blue Cochin. I have friends working on blue Brahma large fowl, they were having some issues with red leaking through into the hackles of some males. Their females were a good solid blue, and some males, but would still throw some red leakers occasionally. That could be similar to what you have here

Now the big questions for me are. What pattern/color are the female equivalent ? And can you reproduce the color in a high percentage of offspring ?

As to what I would call it, until the genes are confirmed set, and reproducible, I would call him interesting. Over the years I have had many interesting birds develop in my brooders. A few have gone on to head new side projects, while most were just an interesting combination of genetics, and went on their way to someone's backyard flock, or freezer. Once you have established a uniform looking flock of this color, over several generations, then I would worry as to what to call them.

Last edited:
In this photo I would call the two white females blue columbians. The red birds are mostly columbian patterned, a splash version of blue on red.

These gals, a blue on red columbian in front, and more of a buff in back.

To call it just a blue would not be accurate either. To my minds eye blue would bring a image off a solid one color bird such as a blue Cochin. I have friends working on blue Brahma large fowl, they were having some issues with red leaking through into the hackles of some males. Their females were a good solid blue, and some males, but would still throw some red leakers occasionally. That could be similar to what you have here

Now the big questions for me are. What pattern/color are the female equivalent ? And can you reproduce the color in a high percentage of offspring ?

As to what I would call it, until the genes are confirmed set, and reproducible, I would call him interesting. Over the years I have had many interesting birds develop in my brooders. A few have gone on to head new side projects, while most were just an interesting combination of genetics, and went on their way to someone's backyard flock, or freezer. Once you have established a uniform looking flock of this color, over several generations, then I would worry as to what to call them.
Thanks! I bought him as a Blue but he grew those cool hackle & saddle feathers, so i thought maybe he was a Blue Columbian. The hen I got with him is a solid Blue. I haven't had any red leakage in their young, just that silver color in the males, like the cock bird. I guess i will just call them cool. lol Thanks again Big Medicine!!!

Looking for rare color Brahma chickens to start a breeding program. I'm in NW PA. 45 acre farm. We pretty much free range our chicken right now but I want to get into some serious breeding. I have investigated most of the breeds and Brahma chickens are the way I want to go.

Also looking for a mentor/co-breeder willing to share knowledge and swap chickens.

Thank you in advance.

All clean for the show this weekend

Back
Top Bottom