Brahma Breeders thread

I've learned a lesson with Darks. They're not as hardy as the other colors. I don't know why but if they stress they're done. I don't know if it's the same with the bantams but the LF Darks aren't good.

Where did you get yours from, maybe it is the line of darks you got. Alan feagley always has beautiful Darks. Also what type of set up do you have.

I've learned a lesson with Darks. They're not as hardy as the other colors. I don't know why but if they stress they're done. I don't know if it's the same with the bantams but the LF Darks aren't good.

That is just a ridiculous, anecdotal, statement. Maybe in your personal, limited experience....under whatever conditions you provide for your birds(and whatever line you were working with,"hatchery"). There are folks who will read your statement and take it as gospel. It is just 100% factually untrue. Forgive my candor....I just had to blow the whistle and throw the penalty flag on that one. Alan Feaghly was mentioned as a quality breeder. He is. There are others as well....Robert Anderson, John Neff, Dianna Delaney. I am sure I have forgotten some? That is all. I will return to my lurking now.

One of my oldest Brahmas is a dark. I got her as a chick from our local feed store almost 10 years ago. She doesn't lay anymore, but she's still the boss.

That is just a ridiculous, anecdotal, statement. Maybe in your personal, limited experience....under whatever conditions you provide for your birds(and whatever line you were working with,"hatchery"). There are folks who will read your statement and take it as gospel. It is just 100% factually untrue. Forgive my candor....I just had to blow the whistle and throw the penalty flag on that one. Alan Feaghly was mentioned as a quality breeder. He is. There are others as well....Robert Anderson, John Neff, Dianna Delaney. I am sure I have forgotten some? That is all. I will return to my lurking now.

Just to tag onto Tim's response.

I remember reading something years ago that was directed toward breeds of dogs, specifically the differences between the varieties of retrievers. It said something to the effect that when using blanket statements regarding any breed, it is wise to remember that there can often be just as wide a variance between members of the same breed, depending on their breeding. He was talking about personality traits such as being hard headed/trainability, willingness to work in rough cover, or conditions, reaction to strangers, and so forth. He went on to give examples of hard charging goldens that were tougher than some chessie's he had trained. Lab's, or goldens that he was more worried about being a biter than the famously suspicious of strangers chessie. I think the idea can be applied to varieties of chickens as well in many cases.

I try not to make blanket statements, or speak in absolutes. If you stay at this long enough you just might witness something you had previously thought impossible

You know your family is hooked when your husband talks about getting a small trailer to transport the birds to shows and your 10 year old daughter is talking about trying to create black bantam brahmas in addition to her exhibition buff brahmas which haven't even started laying yet. Amazing what going to just one big show does.

I knew they were an accepted variety but I didn't think anyone actually had any. You would think they would be easier to show if you got good type as you wouldn't have to worry about lacing in hackles and coverts, similar to how Other solid colors usually do well.

I knew they were an accepted variety but I didn't think anyone actually had any. You would think they would be easier to show if you got good type as you wouldn't have to worry about lacing in hackles and coverts, similar to how Other solid colors usually do well.

Greg Williams developed VERY good ones. When he got out of showing the Blacks declined greatly. Sandy Kavanaugh in Kentucky still has them and Laina Seay in Missouri does too. I am sure there are others as well.

Back
Top Bottom