Brahma Breeders thread

One of my gold partridge hens named Izzy hatched 5 out of 5 beautiful baby chicks! I just discovered them. They're so adorable and Mama Izzy is very protective of those babies. Now it's a matter of waiting to see if they're girls or boys. I'm so proud of her.

Hello! I'm raising Blue Partridge Brahmas right now and have a few questions on the coloring. I'm breeding them next spring and would love to hear insights on the colors and patterns my babies have right now.

Kalani is one of my pullets. She has a lot more red then the other pullet, and I think it's called red pyle with brahmas?

Asuka is my bigger girl, but looks more like the type of Blue Partridge Brahma that I see when I research pictures of them. I know that blue doesn't breed true or something like that in chickens? I think I read that I would have to breed a splash to a blue in order to get all blue babies.

Last but not least, my boy Montana also has a lot of red, with more of a defined light blue slate neck. For breeding purposes, what characteristics should I breed out, and what ones do I want to keep? And how would I breed the offspring back to the parents or something like that to get purebreds (I know it's incest lol but how do breeders do it?). Thank you!

The first bird is blue. A red pyle is a black breasted red with dominant white turning all normally black sections white, as in old English games. To the best of my knowledge the only Brahmas that I am aware of carrying dominant white in the US are the buff laced. The European brahma folks have a bad habit of incorrectly referring to splash of any pattern Brahmas as "pyle" . I have yet to see a prudent square with blue, black, pyle options.

I got best of breed in the open show with a light cockerel. There was one other person that showed two buffs in the open show. My light female took reserve variety and my buff cock also got reserve variety. In the junior show I got reserve variety in both the lights and buffs with cockerels. Did better than I thought I was going to do. I'm still in the process of getting breeding pens broken up and birds in good condition. I should be good to go for the Eastern Ohio show.

Hi there brahma people! This is my first time owning a brahma and I am thinking he is a rooster. I don't have much experience so I thought I would bring him here.
tail
comb

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom