Brahma Breeders thread

So I have an obscure question: I keep a few brahmas but they're my favorite.., I have been looking for some buff laced standard eggs but the farm they had come from is no longer in business and no one who had stock seems to have any available, I just want eggs and am wondering if anyone has any... I saw some on ebay a few months ago and really should have just bought them.

Is it considered wrong to call the splash variety of Blue Partridge Brahmas, Red Pyle? I always thought red Pyle was different. I call them Splash Blue Partridge. Please let me know if I'm wrong in thinking this. Thanks!

Is it considered wrong to call the splash variety of Blue Partridge Brahmas, Red Pyle? I always thought red Pyle was different. I call them Splash Blue Partridge. Please let me know if I'm wrong in thinking this. Thanks!

While personally I find it wrong, I would say calling them red pyle is at least incorrect.

Red pyle as in old English games are black breasted red colored with the addition of dominant white turning the black parts of the pattern white. Dominant white requires only one copy to show itself. Where as splash requires two copies of blue to create a similar look.

Breeding two splash together will produce 100% splash chicks.

Depending on whether a dominant white pyle bird carries one, or two, copies of dominant white will determine the color of resulting chicks.

A two copy bird when bred to a bird with no copies of dominant white will produce all one copy white chicks.

A one copy white bird when bred to a no copy bird will produce 50% one copy white chicks.

Breeding two one copy white birds together will produce 50 % one copy whites, 25% two copy whites, and 25% no copy chicks.

On the other hand, breeding a splash bird (two copies of blue) to a black bird will produce 100% blue chicks.

I have yet to see a Punnett square that lists blue, black, and pyle. They all are blue. black, and splash.
old.gif

While personally I find it wrong, I would say calling them red pyle is at least incorrect.

Red pyle as in old English games are black breasted red colored with the addition of dominant white turning the black parts of the pattern white. Dominant white requires only one copy to show itself. Where as splash requires two copies of blue to create a similar look.

Breeding two splash together will produce 100% splash chicks.

Depending on whether a dominant white pyle bird carries one, or two, copies of dominant white will determine the color of resulting chicks.

A two copy bird when bred to a bird with no copies of dominant white will produce all one copy white chicks.

A one copy white bird when bred to a no copy bird will produce 50% one copy white chicks.

Breeding two one copy white birds together will produce 50 % one copy whites, 25% two copy whites, and 25% no copy chicks.

On the other hand, breeding a splash bird (two copies of blue) to a black bird will produce 100% blue chicks.

I have yet to see a Punnett square that lists blue, black, and pyle. They all are blue. black, and splash.
old.gif
Thanks Big Medicine!! I have tried to explain this same thing to the person til I'm blue in the face. I guess some people just don't want to learn. They say ignorance is bliss. I, for one, will not be calling my SPLASH Blue Partridge, a Red Pyle. :)

M

My cuckoo Braham boy , now study color : light or lemon pyle or blue hen for him .
Give me some suggesttion pls .
Tks

I caved today and started collecting more eggs to hatch. This is going to be more of a trial batch of eggs. I have a pen of lights with a buff male. Hoping for some nice buff females! When I get my Peterson lights I'm going to breed them to a buff male once I get I sufficient amount of light chicks from them. Need to get these buffs on the same level as the lights.

Back
Top Bottom