Brahma Breeders thread

I purchased some hens a few weeks ago. I need a rooster, but I am still learning. The hens are not SQ. They have some faults. They are moulting now, so I don't know the extent of it. Their primary feathers are not as clean as I would like. Some bleeding of the white into the black. Their overall color is good. What bothers me the most is their tails. They do not have the nice inverted U. I am crossing my fingers it's a moulting issue, but really I don't believe it is. They look like V's instead of U's. My question is, how difficult is this to breed out?

I read somewhere color comes from the roo and structure from the hen. So it would be hard to correct this trait with these hens correct?

Last edited:
I purchased some hens a few weeks ago. I need a rooster, but I am still learning. The hens are not SQ. They have some faults. They are moulting now, so I don't know the extent of it. Their primary feathers are not as clean as I would like. Some bleeding of the white into the black. Their overall color is good. What bothers me the most is their tails. They do not have the nice inverted U. I am crossing my fingers it's a moulting issue, but really I don't believe it is. They look like V's instead of U's. My question is, how difficult is this to breed out?

I read somewhere color comes from the roo and structure from the hen. So it would be hard to correct this trait with these hens correct?

The base color comes from the male but leakage (extended black) comes from both. Structure comes from both. Type it is very important to brahmas. Wide, wide, wide. Wide head, wide body, wide tail (inverted U). It will take many years to get the body type you want if the original hens don't have it. It is much easier to buy quality birds and build your show quality line. It will save you time and money

The base color comes from the male but leakage (extended black) comes from both. Structure comes from both. Type it is very important to brahmas. Wide, wide, wide. Wide head, wide body, wide tail (inverted U). It will take many years to get the body type you want if the original hens don't have it. It is much easier to buy quality birds and build your show quality line. It will save you time and money
Thank you. I believe you are right. Finding light Brahmas in my area has not been easy. I will keep searching, and adjusting my flock in the direction I want to be.

Just finished buildingmy new coop. It's a 12x16 hoop coop with another 10x6 run with metal over it. My chickies love it. Now I get to hang some shiny things in the trees and along the fence plus put up a scarecrow because a jerk of a Hawk has decided my youngest chicks are its breakfast/dinner. It got one of the pullets out of 1 of my dark brahmas brood of 6. She was too injured to survive. I've been spending 10 minutes in the house and 20 out in the yard to keep it from getting a 2nd chick. I really don't want to hurt it, but I have to protect my chickens and their babies. Katie's brood hatched Sept 3rd so their young and small enough to get into the main yard where the adults couldn't get at the time. Everyone is in the yard now but I hate that I lost a baby because I wasn't as careful as I should have been. The darn hawk already came back for a second try but Katie (my broody), Foghorn (my rooster and the big daddy) and the other adults in the flock are there to help protect them. It's taken me longer to write this because I've been going back and forth to keep an eye out for the darn hawk. I've always loved and admired these beautiful creatures, so don't want anything to happen to it, but I don't want it trying to make my chickens their dinner.

Back
Top Bottom