Brahma Breeders thread

Update on my blue partridge brahmas, Kalani turned out to be a rooster, actually the best looking rooster that I'm keeping for breeding. I was wondering, I have Montana and I'm wondering if he's a splash? He has a single comb though. And I have these two darker boys that I bought as chicks. Just wondering if I should use them for breeding even though they don't look like Kalani. Thanks!

Whether to use the splash cockerel in your breeding plan would depend completely on your what your breeding goals are.

A normal Brahma has two copies of the gene for pea comb, your splash cockerel having a single comb has 0 copies for pea comb and can pass none on to his young.

If your goal is too breed Brahmas, I would use the blue or black cockerels and lose the splash.

Hey guys, I need some advice. My 5 youngest chicks turn 3 months on the 3rd. I know Katie hatched them late on September 3rd. She hid them well. 1 of the cockerels is walking weird. He's hunched over, and stumbling. He started this yesterday. I brought him in checked him over well, and can't see anything physical. His feet, legs and wings look good. When he was just standing he wobbled some. His eyes are clear, his little comb and wattles are nice colored, and he's not wheezing. Or acting sick. My husband found him kind of flopped over and said he wasn't walking right. He's been helping me take care of the chickens since the weather is causing me problems. This little cockerel will probably be put on the pet list if I can get him healthy again instead of the freezer list. I have 17 chickens including these 5 chicks. I would really like to get him back in with the others before he looses his standing in the flock, and Katie rejects him. She's a great momma. I'll definitely let her be a broody again next year.

I have a blue Brahma hen and let her hatch eggs that were sired by a Salmon Favorelle roo. Every chick looks pure Brahma (three black, one blue) except for the extra toes.

Anyone care to guess what these chicks will throw? I'm tempted to breed a black cockerel back.

Last edited:
Do they both have tails? If so i would say pullet for the one on the left that i can see. I can't see the other. Might be a pullet too since it has complete breast feathers. I have some pure brahma hatched Sept 3rd and the 3 pullets are completely feathered. The 2 boys don't have their bach feathers, and their breasts aren't completely covered. I have 1 in because he's injured and I don't know exactly where. Either his left leg, or wing. He's in lock down for a few days until i figure out what's going on with him. My blue hen I haven't let raise a brood yet. I have a nice partridge rooster and he's throwing nice pullets, and the oldest cockerel is really nice looking. Too bad i don't have a use for a second roo right now lol. Maybe next year i can find someone willing to ship me some blue brahma eggs. I have mainly reds, and darks.

Back
Top Bottom