Brahma Buff Columbia

guys I just saw some very short dark orange feathers under his current feathers (they were blown by the wind). So it seems it is probably not a pullet after all !

Unbelievable how they are so slow to develop compared to other breeds. He is now 18 weeks and the gender is still not clearly visible but now I'm 99% sure it's a rooster.
Luckily the breeder said I can change it for a pullet, but I'll wait a bit till it's completely clear it's a rooster.
New photos:

Last edited:
Ugh! I'm having the same problem. All of mine look like roosters to me. Why do Brahma have to be so difficult to sex?! I was told that if their pea comb has 3 distinct rows it's a roo. But all of them look like they have 3 rows to me. Dries86, yours looks like it might be getting some pointed tail feathers so I'm leaning toward cockerel. Mine are only 9 weeks so I have a long wait to know for sure. This one I'm almost positive is a roo. He feathered in MUCH slower than the rest.

You can see the difference in tails in this pic. He? is in the front. Has a much smaller tail. Hers is bigger and has rounded feathers.

This is Zelda…she'll be 11 wks on Friday. Can anyone tell me if she is really a she? :idunno
I'm thinking pullet for yours, but again Brahma are so difficult. Her comb looks more 1 rowed than 3. You can see the difference in my first pick. She also looks pretty well feathered in. Not like she has room to develope saddle feathers.

Ugh! I'm having the same problem. All of mine look like roosters to me. Why do Brahma have to be so difficult to sex?! I was told that if their pea comb has 3 distinct rows it's a roo. But all of them look like they have 3 rows to me. Dries86, yours looks like it might be getting some pointed tail feathers so I'm leaning toward cockerel. Mine are only 9 weeks so I have a long wait to know for sure. This one I'm almost positive is a roo. He feathered in MUCH slower than the rest.

You can see the difference in tails in this pic. He? is in the front. Has a much smaller tail. Hers is bigger and has rounded feathers.
Imo that's a cockerel, because of the darker feathers and the comb.

Wish mine was that easy to sex. But it seems no one knows 100 % sure and he is almost 5 months old !!!

Can anyone (experienced with buff brahmas) give me confirmation so I can return him to breeder please and change for a pullet ?

Thanks

I would exchange just in case. This way you're guaranteed a hen and aren't stuck in limbo. Your Brahma definitely looks different from most others I've seen. There's a lot more black down the back and sides and the feathering on the legs looks more fuzzy. Not sure if that has something to do with it.

Back
Top Bottom