Brahma Buff Columbia

dries89, is this bird in the states or elsewhere?

In general I agree with donrae. If you look close, it does seem like there might be a darker feather coming in on the shoulder, and there might be some pointy feathers in the saddle and the tail feathers look like they are going sickle-shaped... but I really would think there would be more obvious signs at 5-months. Everytime I thought I had a young Brahma cockerel, and waited and waited for obvious signs, I ended up with a pullet.

For example, look at the images of some younger Buff Brahmas in this thread:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/530033/buff-brahma-rooster

This bird is in Belgium (colder climate), so maybe that's why it's developing so slowly ?!

Finally could capture this darker feathers under his current feathers:

100% rooster I guess now ?!

Last edited:
Yep, well noticed there is a green feather developing in the tail, that combined with the dark feathers coming in on the shoulder I was 99.9% certain.

Just for the record: I've sent the photos to the breeder and she confirmed it's a rooster so I'm going to swap it. Now I know what to look out for with buff brahmas but they are very tricky.

Thanks all for the help!

Yep, well noticed there is a green feather developing in the tail, that combined with the dark feathers coming in on the shoulder I was 99.9% certain. 

Just for the record: I've sent the photos to the breeder and she confirmed it's a rooster so I'm going to swap it. Now I know what to look out for with buff brahmas but they are very tricky.

Thanks all for the help!

I'm glad I could help. And I'm glad you finally have an answer and are able to swap him. Good luck!

I traded him today for this brahma. Could you tell me which type of brahma this is, how old and if it's definately a female ? Breeder could not tell how old it was but guaranteed it me it was female... Hope I have better luck this time !
Because it's that small I keep it separate from the others, as they might hurt her.

Last edited:
Don't know anything about your breed of chickens, but that looks like a lady to me - we have something in common though, the water feeders, world wide they must have made a killing who ever designed them.

Loved your roo pity you had to get rid of him but life goes on......

Agree she's a partridge, so that guarantees her gender as the males are a totally different color. I was thinking 3-4 months, but I'm really not a giant breed person. She's going to be gorgeous when she matures--partridge birds are so pretty!

Back
Top Bottom