Brahma hen - foot wound/issue

Of course you will need to treat everyone for the critters Star and the coops too and again in 10 days after that. I bought permethine (help me out here @Wyorp Rock and bought a small sprayer . It was around $10.00 at TSC and I drowned the coop walls and everything else they come in contact with including the outside walls. I lost a hen to mites , maybe more then one. Memory is a funny thing. I lost them WHEN I treated ! I believe they were just so weak from blood loss they couldnt take the rest of it. Any kind of protein you can get in her now is good . Remember they will eat raw meat too. I think your hen was very close to death and isnt out of the woods yet. Her foot cant heal w/o protein . I dont think giving her a bath is a real good idea in her weakened state. Foot soak yes , she needs thats but imagine how tired you would feel with maybe over half of your blood gone. Rooster booster is also a good idea to help w/ protein . (I think) . LOL Trim all her butt feathers off. That will help the mess.
That may be the next step (trimming bum feathers) I was doing what I could with wet paper towels and some Castile soap last night.

I have permethrin from tsc - just need to get the sprayer to attack the coop. I want to get out there on a nice day and pressure wash the coop out and the treat it - but that would need me to do it on a day off - darn this work/long day thing. We have a cheapie sprayer somewhere but hubs has used it with noxious chemicals I don’t want near the chicken coop so....I’ve actually got one on the wish list...just haven’t pulled the trigger on it yet. Just sucks this is all going down right around when all the vehicle payments are, mortgage is due, and of course hubs’ week in the desert ended up being unpaid. Gah! Thank gosh I can pull some extra hours out of work due to finishing up some tax reporting and creative freaking budgeting lol.

The rest of the girls aren’t that bad at least - I think Fluffy was just hit bad since she’s kinda klutzy with her foot injury and hasn’t been dust bathing.

I think this am I’ll make her a fresh scrambled egg and some cucumber bits. Hopefully she likes that.

Alright. Time to get up. Too much to do, too little time.

Of course you will need to treat everyone for the critters Star and the coops too and again in 10 days after that. I bought permethine (help me out here @Wyorp Rock and bought a small sprayer . It was around $10.00 at TSC and I drowned the coop walls and everything else they come in contact with including the outside walls. I lost a hen to mites , maybe more then one. Memory is a funny thing. I lost them WHEN I treated ! I believe they were just so weak from blood loss they couldnt take the rest of it. Any kind of protein you can get in her now is good . Remember they will eat raw meat too. I think your hen was very close to death and isnt out of the woods yet. Her foot cant heal w/o protein . I dont think giving her a bath is a real good idea in her weakened state. Foot soak yes , she needs thats but imagine how tired you would feel with maybe over half of your blood gone. Rooster booster is also a good idea to help w/ protein . (I think) . LOL Trim all her butt feathers off. That will help the mess.
That may be the next step (trimming bum feathers) I was doing what I could with wet paper towels and some Castile soap last night.

I have permethrin from tsc - just need to get the sprayer to attack the coop. I want to get out there on a nice day and pressure wash the coop out and the treat it - but that would need me to do it on a day off - darn this work/long day thing. We have a cheapie sprayer somewhere but hubs has used it with noxious chemicals I don’t want near the chicken coop so....I’ve actually got one on the wish list...just haven’t pulled the trigger on it yet. Just sucks this is all going down right around when all the vehicle payments are, mortgage is due, and of course hubs’ week in the desert ended up being unpaid. Gah! Thank gosh I can pull some extra hours out of work due to finishing up some tax reporting and creative freaking budgeting lol.

The rest of the girls aren’t that bad at least - I think Fluffy was just hit bad since she’s kinda klutzy with her foot injury and hasn’t been dust bathing.

I think this am I’ll make her a fresh scrambled egg and some cucumber bits. Hopefully she likes that.

Alright. Time to get up. Too much to do, too little time.
:hugs You're doing what you can Star.
Sometimes it seems everything comes at once!
Are the mites dead now? I agree with @Granny Hatchet getting some protein into her would be good. Mites can cause anemia. Rooster Booster Poultry Cell would be good, if not, let me tell you -- Give her some B-Complex. You are in CA, I think you should have a Dollar Tree (yes?!) Dollar Tree has B-Complex, I think 30 tablets for $1 get a bottle. (I buy these and have used them for me and my flock) Give your hen 1/2 tablet daily for a week. Can you get a small amount of beef liver? I would also give her 1 Tablespoon beef liver for a few days. You can cook it or give it raw. If liver is a no go, then give her a scrambled or hard boiled egg daily. Mine like their's scrambled!

Granny!!! Hey lady! 🤗
You don't need no help, you got this!
I think probably what you found at TSC was Permethrin 10? I have a bottle of that too.
1582660975047.png

Ooh! I do have a can of wet cat food from when they were molting. I may just see if she’ll take a tidbit of that tonight.

She doesn’t seem to be the biggest fan of eggs :/ which is good and bad at the same time...yay she’s not an egg thief, boo she needs protein!!

Well. I was debating maybe if I should get some rooster booster do a little tsc run tonight - should probably get her some chick grit anyway, since she’s inside.

As far as the mites - most of them are dead. There were so many fluffing her out last night. A few may have escaped the permethrin douse though :/

x2, no bath right now. You could trim the poopy butt feathers a bit, though.

:hugs You're doing what you can Star.
Sometimes it seems everything comes at once!
Are the mites dead now? I agree with @Granny Hatchet getting some protein into her would be good. Mites can cause anemia. Rooster Booster Poultry Cell would be good, if not, let me tell you -- Give her some B-Complex. You are in CA, I think you should have a Dollar Tree (yes?!) Dollar Tree has B-Complex, I think 30 tablets for $1 get a bottle. (I buy these and have used them for me and my flock) Give your hen 1/2 tablet daily for a week. Can you get a small amount of beef liver? I would also give her 1 Tablespoon beef liver for a few days. You can cook it or give it raw. If liver is a no go, then give her a scrambled or hard boiled egg daily. Mine like their's scrambled!

Granny!!! Hey lady! 🤗
You don't need no help, you got this!
I think probably what you found at TSC was Permethrin 10? I have a bottle of that too.
View attachment 2035648
Yes! Beef liver!

Ooh! I do have a can of wet cat food from when they were molting. I may just see if she’ll take a tidbit of that tonight.

She doesn’t seem to be the biggest fan of eggs :/ which is good and bad at the same time...yay she’s not an egg thief, boo she needs protein!!

Well. I was debating maybe if I should get some rooster booster do a little tsc run tonight - should probably get her some chick grit anyway, since she’s inside.

As far as the mites - most of them are dead. There were so many fluffing her out last night. A few may have escaped the permethrin douse though :/
The cat food may help entice her to eat. Beef liver contains Iron along with vitamins/minerals that will help her if she's anemic. Egg, sardines/tuna are some others options.

Glad most of the mites are dead. With her having a messy bottom, that's likely where they are hiding and avoiding the permethrin.

Well. She’s preening a bit. Had a couple bites of cat food and a crane fly but won’t touch the bits with the mox on it. :/ took a bit to get her to eat what few bites she had.

Going to do a super quick tsc run before they close to get some chick grit for her and do a quick groc shop for some other forms of bribery (and see if they have liver)
15DE131E-FF8E-4A1C-88E7-5C2EC05DDF1C.jpeg
AB530EB1-969D-4476-A23D-34E4B72D4480.jpeg
618DA9CC-CF50-4504-ABF1-0DEEB45D60D7.jpeg
829E4527-96EF-49A4-B3A1-9F12FEA28164.jpeg
824269A4-B7CE-4B24-A59C-1060433E64F1.jpeg

Well. She’s preening a bit. Had a couple bites of cat food and a crane fly but won’t touch the bits with the mox on it. :/ took a bit to get her to eat what few bites she had.
The Amox, are you having to crush it and measure out?
If it's chunks or partial pill, open her beak and pop it in.
They seem to just "know" when you have medications in food. Be ready for her to spit it out too LOL I have a hen that can shoot a 1/2 calcium pill way out there, but I've learned to catch it:)

The Amox, are you having to crush it and measure out?
If it's chunks or partial pill, open her beak and pop it in.
They seem to just "know" when you have medications in food. Be ready for her to spit it out too LOL I have a hen that can shoot a 1/2 calcium pill way out there, but I've learned to catch it:)
It was in little caps but I have to split it cause dumb bum me ordered before I knew the dosage on the hens. It’s all a powder so I’ve been sprinkling it on thawed corn, cat food...wasn’t working.

Just had some success with watermelon though. She chomped that down. YAY. So for the morning I’ll roll some watermelon slices in what’s left of that first pill and see how she does. For now...hopefully I don’t have any police activity in my home....may be hard explaining a little pile of white powder...*shifty eyes*

I was feeling discouraged but after watching her chow down on watermelon....yay.

Back
Top Bottom