Brahma hen - foot wound/issue

It was in little caps but I have to split it cause dumb bum me ordered before I knew the dosage on the hens. It’s all a powder so I’ve been sprinkling it on thawed corn, cat food...wasn’t working.

Just had some success with watermelon though. She chomped that down. YAY. So for the morning I’ll roll some watermelon slices in what’s left of that first pill and see how she does. For now...hopefully I don’t have any police activity in my home....may be hard explaining a little pile of white powder...*shifty eyes*

I was feeling discouraged but after watching her chow down on watermelon....yay.
Do you know how much she weighs?
Amoxicillin dose is 57mg per pound of weight given 2 times a day.

To make it a bit easier to give her a correct dosage...use something "known". For example:
put 1 teaspoon of that cat food in a bowl, empty your capsule, mix it all very well. You have 500mg capsules correct? So 1/4 teaspoon of that mixture will have approx. 125mg in it. 1/2 teaspoon would be 250mg, etc. Make sense?

Great on the watermelon!

Friskies canned cat food pate is my favorite thing in which to hide meds.
Watermelon works wonders. She scarfed it down this morning :)

Yes I pulled the good old fashioned hop on the scale, grab her and hop back on and away we go. So she gets roughly half the contents of a pill twice a day. We’ll see how she’s doing when I get home tonight.

Today’s update. She’s not really going for the meaty treats but will chomp down happily on watermelon. Labored breathing, eating is hard work :/ will try slicing off some liver tonight. Don’t freak out about the pink spots, that’s watermelon juice.
5384D7A4-2BC9-4737-938A-7101BD3AEEE2.jpeg
B0C426C8-7132-4961-A85E-BE55009965FD.jpeg
3337765E-20DC-4BFF-9D09-9AC5C1A567B8.jpeg
94952347-EEDF-49CF-A11D-6D294218DF79.jpeg

Labored breathing continues, still not eating much before I went to work :/ she was turning up her beak at the liver too - but did eat a swatted fly and spider last night.
Sigh. Debating running and grabbing some feeder grubs or crickets after work and seeing if she’ll go for that. (And if not the other girls will gladly eat em!)

if I still see no improvement tonight, it may be a sign that she’s too far gone. :/

Back
Top Bottom