Brahma making a different kind of clucking noise should I be worried

Is her crop emptying overnight?

If there's fluid in the abdomen, then yes, she would have the symptom Ascites. Draining can sometimes give the hen relief or make them feel better for a period of time. Draining doesn't cure whatever is causing the fluid in the abdomen, it's just part of treatment/supportive care. I've found that in my hens, fluid is usually caused by a reproductive disorder, in my case, I've seen mainly cancer, but Peritonitis, Salpingitis, Internal Laying, etc. can also cause fluid. Organ dysfunction/failure is another cause of fluid.
Managing the symptoms for a while by draining can extend life and make them more comfortable. Some give a detox to see if that helps instead of draining fluid.
Bottom line is, at some point, whatever is causing the symptom will eventually overwhelm her system.
This is not to discourage you to try draining or detox, she may do very well and live a good long time, you never know.

Aloe Detox by @coach723 https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...-breath-if-you-hold-her.1284253/post-20750855

How to drain

I'm sorry, there's no video showing on my end. The upload on BYC does not work. Video would need to be uploaded to another platform like YouTube and then you provide a link.

It's good that her crop is emptying.
I tried to take a video I will try to send. Also I opened up her mouth which I’ve never done that before I didn’t see anything but it looked like little hairs on the top of her inside beak and there’s no smell. But I did give them some dry worms and I went outside and I seen some thing and I’m not sure what it was it was hanging out of her mouth. I just picked her up and I put some vet X on her beak. I’m not sure if it is worm or not because after that she started clucking pretty bad. And she had her mouth open like she was really warmI usually put dementias earth in their food once a month to take care of the worms. And I clean their coop every day and I’ve never seen any worms. She is my largest Brahma and because of her weight I thought she was getting warm every single day and huffing and puffing. I put a sprayer underneath the tent and she will sit under it to get soaking wet that happened yesterday I couldn’t believe it the other chickens got a little wet but most of them Try to get a little wet and close but not soaking wet. I hope the video came out I guess I’m going to continue using the Vet x too and I’m gonna get some better dewormer. Thank you for your help I really do appreciate it.
I have been Doing a little bit of research today. And ascite Read that is just a symptom of Overran cancer. I read that on Tillys web sight. The only question I have is that swollen spot is not on her stomach it’s on her back near her butt. A few months back she was having a hard time perching. So I gave her an aspirin and that helped her a lot so I figured it was pain. So I started putting Boswella in the water which is Indian frankincense. After giving her the aspirin a little bit here and there and giving her the Boswell as she was feeling better she was able to purch. And this is probably been going on for about 6 months that she’s been feeling a lot better. I really thought it might be arthritis because of her age so that’s the reason why I started giving her that. I wish I could know for sure what is really going on and then I kind of blame myself for that big old spot on her butt because I cleaned her butt about couple days ago. I tried to be careful but one of the feathers did come out and I was thinking maybe that caused it. And I did say overran cancer can make the chicken look like she’s got a big belly. And they did say flaxseed is wonderful to give the chickens to keep them from getting over in cancer. Thank you for having so much patience I really do appreciate it

Is her crop emptying overnight?

If there's fluid in the abdomen, then yes, she would have the symptom Ascites. Draining can sometimes give the hen relief or make them feel better for a period of time. Draining doesn't cure whatever is causing the fluid in the abdomen, it's just part of treatment/supportive care. I've found that in my hens, fluid is usually caused by a reproductive disorder, in my case, I've seen mainly cancer, but Peritonitis, Salpingitis, Internal Laying, etc. can also cause fluid. Organ dysfunction/failure is another cause of fluid.
Managing the symptoms for a while by draining can extend life and make them more comfortable. Some give a detox to see if that helps instead of draining fluid.
Bottom line is, at some point, whatever is causing the symptom will eventually overwhelm her system.
This is not to discourage you to try draining or detox, she may do very well and live a good long time, you never know.

Aloe Detox by @coach723 https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...-breath-if-you-hold-her.1284253/post-20750855

How to drain

Wow That’s amazing I’m not sure I can do that but they keep talking about the belly and this lump or whatever it’s called is near the butt where I see that swollen spot about 3 inches.

I feel so foolish Because both my Brahmas have soft spots in their chest it was kind of squishy that’s the only way I can explain it very soft. And I tried to study it I could not come up with anything now I come up with things that it could be the beginning of ovarian cancer and should be drained maybe.. I will try to bring to a vet. This is just too much for me I’ve been trying to help her the last six months. Thank you so much for all your help

Cancer

Well, soft spots on their chest can be their crop. This is only an issue if the crops are not emptying overnight. When the hens eat during the day, the crop fills with food/water, so you should be able to feel that. Once they go to sleep, then the food/water is slowly digested/processed overnight and the crop empties.

Sometimes hens do end up with cancer. If the abdomen (below the vent between the legs is filled with fluid), then draining can help IF the hen is struggling to walk, is lethargic, has difficulty breathing, not eating/drinking well. Draining is not a cure, but it's a supportive care measure to make the hen more comfortable for a period of time. There are risks from draining, for example, introducing bacteria into the abdominal cavity, draining too much too quickly and the hen going into shock or puncturing an organ or intestines with the needle.

Well, soft spots on their chest can be their crop. This is only an issue if the crops are not emptying overnight. When the hens eat during the day, the crop fills with food/water, so you should be able to feel that. Once they go to sleep, then the food/water is slowly digested/processed overnight and the crop empties.

Sometimes hens do end up with cancer. If the abdomen (below the vent between the legs is filled with fluid), then draining can help IF the hen is struggling to walk, is lethargic, has difficulty breathing, not eating/drinking well. Draining is not a cure, but it's a supportive care measure to make the hen more comfortable for a period of time. There are risks from draining, for example, introducing bacteria into the abdominal cavity, draining too much too quickly and the hen going into shock or puncturing an organ or intestines with the needle.
Well I checked all the hens this morning the crops And the hen that’s having the problem hers was fine but my smaller hen it seemed like she had some food in there. I checked them before they got off the perch. I will keep you updated thank you again for all your help you’ve been great

Well I checked all the hens this morning the crops And the hen that’s having the problem hers was fine but my smaller hen it seemed like she had some food in there. I checked them before they got off the perch. I will keep you updated thank you again for all your help you’ve been great
That lump near her vent what can I give her as an antibiotic to keep that from getting infected I do have anabiotic spray I can spray it. It may be a feather . I remember a few years back I went into tractor supply and asked him for antibiotics for chickens they practically laughed at me. I felt like saying you know chickens have feelings too and they’re gods animals. I heard a lot of people put all of oregano in their water as an anabiotic would you suggest doing that also? Thank you so much

I wouldn't really mess with the lump unless it looks like it's irritated or the skin is broken.
Well I bought natural warming medicine and this is the second day I gave it to the chickens. And it’s supposed to be really good it’s supposed to help them with other things too. But now she has and besides the clucking and not being able to run like she used to she’s shaking her head I went out there just a little while ago to close the coop and she was shaking her head and she didn’t run like the other chickens do anymore. It’s so hard to see in her suffer it really breaks my heart

Back
Top Bottom