Brahma mix cockerel - tell me about their "teenage" phase

cityeggs

Songster
Oct 25, 2021
Bay Area, CA
Thanks to the "what breed/gender is this?" forum, I think I have a Brahma x Ameraucana cockerel. Physical development so far seems to follow Brahma genetics - he's been VERY slow to feather out (about a month or more behind the other chicks), he's very big and has short floofy tail feathers and feathered legs (though nowhere near as heavily feathered as I've seen in typical Brahma photos - maybe that will change as he matures?).

How different are Brahmas typically in their "teenage" months - when that hits and how they behave? I've heard Brahma roosters are generally laid-back and docile, both with hens and humans. Do they still go through a crazy hormonal period around 16 weeks? Is that much more subdued as compared to other breeds? And does it tend to happen later, similar to other aspects of their development?

I'm just curious what I might expect and how much time I have to find him a new home - before crowing, potential aggression and needing to separate him from the immature pullets.

All cockerels are individuals, so though I have this mix, I can't say how your cockerel will develop, or behave.
Mine was a late bloomer. He wasn't too much of a "chaser" but he started crowing at about
7 months. There were other roosters around, and older hens. I feel that, that influences their behavior a great deal.
He is in his second year now and is still filling out. He is very well behaved.
Again, your cockerel's behavior may be completely different.

Back
Top Bottom