Advice on integrating 5 month old brahma cockeral

Auma

Chirping
Jul 18, 2022
I'm looking for advice, experiences, and suggestions on adding a 5 month old light brahma cockeral to my flock.
A little bit about my flock, it consists of 5, 1 year old hens (one who hatched chicks 2 weeks ago) 10 pullets, 2 guineas, and 3 ducks who are all 4 months and all various standard sized breeds. My birds free range over 10 acres if they please but stick mostly to our yard (1.5 acre). I've always wanted a rooster, not necessarily for protection or breeding but farm life just feels more complete with one, which I understand may not be the best reason to get one.
After some research it looked like a brahma would be one of the most docile roos I could get which is important with having children around but I know it also depends on each individual bird.
A little bit about the potential cockeral-ive been told he's been fine around people but gets excited around the hens, and he's currently in a flock of 20/25 with 4 others roos, not sure if this plays into his behavior by feeling the need to compete. He also crows all day which I have no problem with. Would he possibly settle down being the only roo around? What would be the best way to introduce him to a new flock, or if you wouldn't what are the reasons? And if you have an experience with brahma cockerals/roosters I would love to hear about it! 😀

do the see-no-touch method. allow them to socialize through the pen for a few weeks before letting them mingle. as far as the crowing goes that could be more of a personality thing. he could settle down and not crow so much or he can just be a very vocal loud mouth

I just add a rooster. At 5 months, he should just fit in, it is generally the easiest integration in chickens...

BUT what concerns me, is "Important with children around" If your kids are sharing the same area with chickens, and your children are under the age of 6, I would strongly recommend no roosters. They tend to attack children first, and young children can take the attack at the head level, can scar their faces or knock them down. Roosters have ruined the whole chicken experience for a lot of people. There really is not a breed that you can trust, it is on the individual rooster, and a lot of roosters are rotten, and a lot of roosters get upset with normal childhood playing.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom