Brahma Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
A neighbor had a bear tear the door off his henhouse. After he replaced and reinforced it, the bear came back and tore the siding off. He's out of chicken raising.
We don't have to deal with bears in Northeast Texas that I have ever seen or heard probably because most Texan's would deal with a bear the same way they would deal with a wild hog minus the sausage making part and plus the rug making part.

. Correct me if I am wrong but in most states you need to be NPIP certified to legally sell poultry & hatching eggs. Just FYI
It is not required here in NC, but I do place high importance on biosecurity. No birds have been brought in since I've been NPIP certified. I worm every 6 months and am very hands on in my small flock

Im no show person but bought Light Brahma eggs from BIGDAWG on here ..and here is the guy i got and kept . To me hes pretty nice The purest white ive ever seen Maybe 6 months old now Georgie 2. Georgie 1 wasn't as nice Any opinions or critiques?

Last edited:
I have a few breeds of chickens but i found the same as you Brahmas such sweet calm personalites My Light Brahmas are very friendly they follow me making a whiny sound to give them treats and the most easy to pet or pick up. but my Silver laced roo does the same .always under foot.. "whatcha got there?" The males are pretty big the Silver Laced roo is almost turkey size!.. They don't pick on others but don't get picked on either...Size?
I started with Lights and now have Buff, Laced and the LBs. My Buffs tend to go broody on me though
Wouldnt mind more if didint have so many chickens
If i had to pick one breed to have just one it would be Brahmas and im really partial to my Lights. Funny don't see a lot of ppl with them either not sure why..so pretty!!
smile.png

• BGMatt "[COLOR=333333]I don't range my birds much or at all. Too high a risk of predation, plus ranging exposes them to catching all manor of sickness and/or parasites from wild animals, much higher risk then a showroom!"
Really? What would chickens catch from wild random animals? First off, ranging is not just chickens running loose. Most likely animals they will encounter are armadillos or small rodents like squirrels and mice maybe a random snake is my biggest predator concern and maybe raccoon. Haven't lost any yet but I am either sitting there watching them or they are in the tractors. I still consider that ranging for bugs because I move the tractors often.[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]I would think dozens or hundreds of other chickens from random farms would be much more likely to have a germ which would be a threat to other chickens than different odd wild species of other animals.[/COLOR]
What Dirt Farmer said is exactly right. I envy you your lack of predators as well (although raccoons are one of the worst, I've lost 50+ birds to them in a single night before). I do feel that ranging birds can have a number of health benefits too, I only mentioned the risks because they are significantly higher than a show where yes there's other animals from a lot of places, but their owners have an interest in having healthy animals. So it doesn't make sense a whole lot of sense to worry about that when the odds are that your bird is at less risk there then at home.

Im no show person but bought Light Brahma eggs from BIGDAWG on here ..and here is the guy i got and kept . To me hes pretty nice The purest white ive ever seen Maybe 6 months old now Georgie 2. Georgie 1 wasn't as nice Any opinions or critiques?
His profile is ok for a young bird, maybe a but high angle and pinched in the tail, he still has some filling out to do. Hard to tell scale in photos but he looks ok size wise. The biggest flaw I see is his coloration is incorrect. The saddle should have black stripe down middle of each feather like the hackle.

Last edited:
Thanks for your critique..I dont know a thing...HUm the saddle should have black stripes too? Didn't expect it to be that way.Assumed all white but for tail and hackles little on wings. l have to remember that.

Last question

...I has a pair of laced brahmas hatched a few clutches of eggs last spring . A gold laced hen and silver laced roo. When i collect their eggs to hatch i kept coming up with chicks that didn't have the lacing on body much only the pullets

Do the cockrels get lace on places other than the chest and also most importantly can the pattern be different on wings and back as i have 4 roos that are the color of silver laced roo my male but their patterns are all the same... black and white areas.... but not like my roo Hes about 1/2 white where as they are mostly black with some wing white sort of lace on chests Is this common or do i have a sneak LB in the laced nest
The MAYBE Laced roo from eggs in nest.Truthfully i cant figure what else these would be by colors ande pattern
MY Silver Laced Roo from bought shipped eggs

2 of the questionable Laced from the top(They are really pretty ugly)5 or so months old

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom